• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR500 & Gigabyte MB not working right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cloudkat

Registered
Just finished upgrading my friend's PC to a Giga-Byte 8IPE1000-G and two sticks of Kigston HyperX DDR500 Memory (not in a matched set kit, just two individual sticks). We used his overclock-friendy 2.4 P4 from the old system.

In the BIOS the memory only reads as DDR333 instead of DDR400, which is the max this board is rated to handle. I have tried every setting I know of to get it to read as a DDR400, but nothing works.
To add to my problem, this memory is rated to work at 4-4-8-c3, but it just keeps rebooting if I manually set the BIOS to these settings. If I set the BIOS to read the memory "by speed" (automatic) it reads it as 3-3-7-c2.5 and runs just fine.

WTF is going on here??? It will only work at LOWER latancy settings than recomended and will not read as anything higher than DDR333.

Even if this board is not able to handle the DDR500, shouldn't it still recognize it as at least DDR400 since the board is rated to handle DDR400??
And why would the system run at lower latancies than recomended and just continue to reboot when set to recomended latancy??

Any help here would be appreciated. This has me stumped BIG TIME.

PEACE & BLESSED BE

All i can say, is HyperX sucks. I have a Gigabyte board, and I had all kinds of trouble with HyperX. I first got a matched pair of 1G PC4000, and I couldn't even get those to run at 200mhz.

I RMA'd them back to kingston, and they sent me a new pair. Those were better, but i could barely get 210mhz out of those by running 3,4,4,8.

get the program cpu z and see what it reads (the spd on the chips).. it could be that the memory spd chips is programmed as ddr 333...also make sure u have the latest bios..

Motley said:
All i can say, is HyperX sucks
:confused: :confused:

That's one bold statement. While there could be one or two crappy editions, as with any other memory series, don't forget that some HyperX-modules have BH-5, BH-6 and TCCD-chips. And even the HyperX modules based on other chips, are probably way above average.

Back