• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People who have ipods. are they worth it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

I was just wondering about them and if they are worth the price, i like the way they look and all. I am curently looking at the 20gb ipod. they seem to be on top right now, what are some pros and cons to them.

Thanks

It just depends on how often you want music w/ you on the go. When I bought my Generation 2 iPod a couple years ago, I used it constantly. Took it in the car, hooked it up to the radio, jammed on the go, etc. I recently got a Gen4 iPod and I still love it, I just don't use it as much as I once did. I use it for taking large files w/ me mostly now.

There are no real cons of the iPod, IMHO, besides maybe the shiny body that is easily scratchable. If you were to buy one, I'd recommend buying a rubber skin for it so it keeps the iPod nice and shiny.

The iPod works w/ either Mac or PC and is interchangable between the two (I do it all the time), supports firewire and USB 2.0 so it's pretty universal, take it anywhere, plug it in, etc. Winamp has a plugin to support writing to the iPod from within Winamp. iTunes for the PC sucks IMO, but the support is there for the iPod. I think there is a 3rd party plugin for WMP10 if I'm not mistaken.

It's a nice little toy though.

Last edited:
I sold my Ipod 40gb 4th gen and bought a Dell Axim X50v PPC. I absolutely loved my ipod, and after a week of using the x50v, i have absolutely no regrets for selling my ipod.

Now I can watch full length movies on the subway! The screen is amazingly high res. Also, i find that the same mp3s i had on my ipod sound better on the x50v.

I loved my ipod, but i love my x50v lots more. The ipod is rather limited with what it can do.

For the price you need to really like music. There are others that are cheaper for the none music lover. It works well for music and carrying files though a case definatly helps because it ill get banged up. All and all I would just say it depends on your love you the tunes.

hmm, i see. I dont really want to spend much more than 300, so i will pry get one. as always thanks for you opinions. How is the battery life on the ipod anyways?

The iPod gets around 6 hours of battery life from what I remember. That's not enough for me so I went with an upgradable player that has 14 hours of battery life.

Edit: 8-10 hours is also just barely enough time for me. Add to that the inability to replace/swap the batteries on-the-go.

Last edited:
iPods are THE best portable music player PERIOD, the only drawback is a lot of online download music shops use crappy WMA only and the iPod can't play that, but that's like having a CD player and the record stores selling majority 8-tracks IMO.

theMonster said:
iPods are THE best portable music player PERIOD, the only drawback is a lot of online download music shops use crappy WMA only and the iPod can't play that, but that's like having a CD player and the record stores selling majority 8-tracks IMO.

Best in what qualities? Its mostly mediocre bundled into a pretty box.

theMonster said:

I think my zen micro is much nicer than the ipod mini. Its smaller, easier to work, has a user replacable battery, and some other goodies that the ipod doesn't have.

there are better mp3 player out there yes - the Ipod is more for the "style" of it - any of creatives mp3s player are actually better.

i got my g/f one for x-mas - it took us about 45 mins to get it to work properly with my laptop - plu gnad go my butt!

iPods are nice. But people use them as status symbols and wear them like fashion accessories which is enough for me not to want one.

^^^ exactly - most people i would say who have them bought them for what they symblize

OH also on that note - many people with ipods do get robbed - mainly because of the headphones - people with ipod were huge targets this past holiday season.

there are better alternatives out there.

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ exactly - most people i would say who have them bought them for what they symblize

OH also on that note - many people with ipods do get robbed - mainly because of the headphones - people with ipod were huge targets this past holiday season.

there are better alternatives out there.

Although I own one, I have to agree w/ the fashion thing. And yes, if you do get one, definitely buy a different set of headphones, though the earbuds that come w/ the iPod are nice.

Yes that is what i was saying. Look at Iriver I here some good things for about them. Since they are trying to compete with the Ipod the have to offer more at less. The Ipod though is nice to pull out and be like oh yeah its the pod. Then again its nice to pull out a 100 doller bill but I rather have 7 20s. Ad for formates if you are basing your buy on that dont forget you can convert the file formates.

I don't like that you have to stroke it to coax it into changing tracks, like a nipple. I like to have a cold, hard, defined interface between my machines, I dont want them to become part of me.

Obviously none of you have ever used an iPod. 45 minutes to get it to work, sorry dude something was wrong on your end, it took me like 5 at most and that's including installing iTunes. You CAN replace the battery in an iPod, they're more durable than the Zen which is rather fragile (go read on Cnet if you don't believe) and screw the status symbol mumbo jumbo I just like it and it has a lot of cool accessories by Belkin and Griffin among countless others. If you're an Apple hater go get a Zen or an iRiver, but if you want the best then go get an iPod. Techni86, yes you can convert formats,.......if you want them to sound like crap.

^^^ yes i have used an Ipod as i stated.

wrong?

install software - plug in ipod -follow wizard - says formating - 20 mins later nothing..... 30 mins later, nothing..... finally unplug it reboot computer ipod and all try again, about 15 mins later finally formats and works with itunes.

get home to put in ito g/f computer - itunes wont start when ipod plugged in - reinstall itunes, - keep freezing (her computer is prefectly fine) - tsyc weont work i pod sits there "do not disconnect" all the time with nothing happening - finally after about 4 reinstall of Itunes and a format of her Ipod it works.

You can replace the battery - but for how much? and you have to send it into Apple to do it.

I also heard that Ipod no longer take avi files or other items? so it can not be used as a storage device either - or is that only the ipod mini ?

I am sorry themonster - but there are better alternatives out there - you can get more storage / features for less money then an ipod.

Back