• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP and "Shortcut Key"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

link1305

I recently got a new keyboard "Saitek PC Gaming Keyboard" and I love it except for the fact that the programmable buttons can not easily be programmed to starting programs. What I've decided to do it assign keystroke shortcuts to windows shortcuts (Right-clicking the shortcut> Properties>Shortcut menu). For instance I would use Ctrl+Alt+W for Winamp. That works fine when my winamp shortcut is on the desktop, but as soon as I put it in another folder, it stops working!

Is that the way shortcuts work? Once they're moved from the desktop they don't work? Is it just me, or is that a TERRIBLE design? The whole point of the key is to make a shortcut so I can get it OFF the desktop. :bang head

Any ideas? I've searched this forum and found one other thread where someone asked something similar....I assume not many people are aware of this feature/use it.

Thanks for any help!

If a shotcut with a set keyboard shortcut is relocated, the keyboard shortcut must be reapplied to work.

Why don't you just set it to open the original file instead of it's shortcut.

Download StrokeIt.

I have it, and I use it to open my DVDRW with a mouse gesture. I also use it to navigate web pages, minimize things, change songs in winamp, and I have some global keystrokes that I use through it also.

Basically its a mouse gesture program which lets you define commands, and then lets you assign any gestures or keystroke to it that you choose. These can be created so that they work anytime (global), or that specific ones only work when certain windows are open. Its a very powerful tool. :)

Back