• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Diagnostics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

I have a PCI slot (forth from the top) that when a PCI card populates it, a malfunction occurs.

Are there any software diagnostics I could run to determine the problem without using a hardware diagnostic card? If so, what are they?

What IRQ is it using?
Is it sharing ist IRQ with another PCI card already in use?

jAY said:
What IRQ is it using?
Is it sharing ist IRQ with another PCI card already in use?
No PCI card currently populates the apparently problematic PCI slot. It is not sharing its IRQ with another PCI card already in use.

The system on which the problem is occuring is described in my signiture and attached CPU-Z 1.27 report.

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 89
Abit BH6, BX chipset, nice and its got a Voodoo for some killer 3D.
You got a nice classic computer...
anyhow, what slot is the bad one again? (#5?)

if the bottom ISA slot is #8 and the top AGP slot is #1.
I think this is how you are currently set up (correct if wrong)
Empty #1 AGP
Voodoo3 in #2 (top most PCI)
Empty #3 PCI
Accton NIC #4 PCI
Empty #5 PCI
SoundBlaster Audigy #6 PCI
Empty #7 ISA
Empty #8 ISA

What is the PCI card?
Have you tried the card with another computer?
Does it work in a different Slot?
In your BIOS are all IRQ's and DMA's set to PCI/ISA PnP?
In your BIOS are PIRQ_X Use IRQ No. set to Auto?
Latest BIOS? http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/manual.php?categories=1&model=98

Also note that PCI slots #4 and #5 are sharing an IRQ with the USB controller.
PCI Slots #2 and #3 have their own indipendant IRQ's.

If the error is becuause of a IRQ confict in the BIOS you could manually set PIRQ_X Use IRQ No. option.

Any more info you could provide on the malfunction would be great.

jAY said:
Abit BH6, BX chipset, nice and its got a Voodoo for some killer 3D.
You got a nice classic computer....
I had prviously used a Sound Blaster 16 (ISA) card. After being able to attain the retail Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS for $47.58 after a coupon, tax, and a rebate, the sytem became less classic.
jAY said:
anyhow, what slot is the bad one again? (#5?)
Yes, if set up is below.
jAY said:
if the bottom ISA slot is #8 and the top AGP slot is #1.
I think this is how you are currently set up (correct if wrong)
Empty #1 AGP
Voodoo3 in #2 (top most PCI)
Empty #3 PCI
Accton NIC #4 PCI
Empty #5 PCI
SoundBlaster Audigy #6 PCI
Empty #7 ISA
Empty #8 ISA
That is correct with the exception of the manufacturer of the NIC (it is SMC ("SMC1211TX EZ Card 10/100")).
jAY said:
What is the PCI card?
Only the SMC NIC has been tested.
I have now more PCI cards to test: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, "(3C905B-TX) 3Com® Fast EtherLink® XL PCI TX Network Interface Card", and "(3CSOHO100-TX) 3Com® OfficeConnect® Fast Ethernet NIC".
jAY said:
Have you tried the card with another computer?
No.
jAY said:
Does it work in a different Slot?
Yes. I have tested all other expansion slots without apparent yield of a problem.
jAY said:
In your BIOS are all IRQ's and DMA's set to PCI/ISA PnP?
No. Setting is "Auto".
jAY said:
In your BIOS are PIRQ_X Use IRQ No. set to Auto?
Yes.
jAY said:
Yes.
jAY said:
Also note that PCI slots #4 and #5 are sharing an IRQ with the USB controller.
PCI Slots #2 and #3 have their own indipendant IRQ's.
How would you know that?
Could that be a problem if Device Manager snap-in does display any special marks?
jAY said:
If the error is becuause of a IRQ confict in the BIOS you could manually set PIRQ_X Use IRQ No. option.
jAY said:
Any more info you could provide on the malfunction would be great.
The NIC card tested would seem to recieve voltage, however it would not function. I do not recall whether, for slot #5, the SMC NIC was detected by Windows 2000, nor if the NIC was able to attain an IP address. Much time has passed since I tested.

I have looked at my motherboard for any visible defects but failed to find any.

Last edited:
jAY said:
you are 100% sure it is not a driver issue?
No, not 100%. I should be able to try different PCI cards (different drivers would be used) later this week.
jAY said:
So the NIC in question, does work in a different slot?
Speaking of device manager, does it come up with any conflicts for the said card in the troublesome slot?
I do not recall.

jAY said:
This is really an odd thing you got going on.
I suspected a hardware defect; that is why I why looking for a dianostic program.

Last edited:
I would also like to mention that Device Manager once in the past showed a conflict for a non-Plug-and-Play device, and a Plug-and-Play device related containing the string "USB". I had removed the marked items and rebooted. Items that were previously marked were not redetected. The usb ports seems to still work thereafter.

UPDATE:

I tried using my Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI card in the seemingly offending PCI slot. The card worked without a problem.

I then tried my SMC network interface card (the card that was used to note a problem in the past) on the seemingly offending PCI slot. Windows would hault completely (including the mouse pointer's inabilty to move) after attempting to install the SMC NIC drivers (for both SMC and Microsoft signed drivers). Acording to Device Manager, the driver of the network interface card was not properly installed (marked) although the device name was listed.

After the haulting of Windows I reset the system and CHKDSK checked the system and suposidly foud an error in an index and many ophaned files. CHKDSK did not return messages of errors the prior times I had manually finished scanning my file system (NTFS) with CHKDSK.

I believe the problem occurs due to a least one hardware defect member to the offending PCI slot's conectors that would corespond to the position of the abseance of a PCI conecting pin of the Audigy 2 ZS, or circutry connected to the offending PCI slot conectors for which no pin of the Audigy 2 ZS connects in the PCI slot . The Audigy 2 ZS does not have forteen pins to conect to the PCI slot (see picture to note position of pin abseance). The tested Network interface card did not have an abseance of a pin to connect to a PCI slot.

Back