• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB vs. 512MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaftedTwice

Both in dual-channel of course. Will I notice a big difference in gaming and in everything else if I go 1GB, or is 512MB enough for gaming, my 512MB is running HL2 well, I just dont know how 1GB performs though. Need some advice, because I wanna know if goind another $100 overboard is worth it.

yeah, you'll notice. i moved from 1gb to 512 temporarily, and i noticed it both in general use and especially in powerful games. i have a 512 stick in the mail though :D

To spice up the same question I came to ask. What about 2*512MB of Mushkin PC3200 High Performence Level II v.1 (BH-5) 2-2-2-5 VS 2*256MB GSkill pc4400LE 2.5-3-3-7????????????

Jiveseed said:
To spice up the same question I came to ask. What about 2*512MB of Mushkin PC3200 High Performence Level II v.1 (BH-5) 2-2-2-5 VS 2*256MB GSkill pc4400LE 2.5-3-3-7????????????
what kind of system would that be on? Intel, AXP, A64...?
BH5 needs volts to go high, if you can provide them, i'd take the Mushkin for sure.

ShaftedTwice said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=0

With an OCZ DDR Booster, this is a good deal, correct?

Heard it got to about 270FSB, wow, with a gig for $137, cant beat that.

It isn't really established yet whether this ram has the winbond utt chips. I've only heard like one person was lucky enough to get this ram with those chips. It might be a good gamble though for the price. If you are lucky enough to get the winbond utt chips with this ram..... give it 3.6v and you "should" be good for at least 250fsb with 2-2-2-5 timings. No guarantees of course.... :)

and to answer the original question...... 1 gig always has worked better for me than 512.

ShaftedTwice...You have another problem with an upgrade of ram ,and I have the same exact problem. If you get 2 more sticks of 256 the A64 ram controller will most likely slow you down to 2t. Four sticks on these boards, at least for now, translates into slower timings as opposed to 2 sticks of 512. Hence, I've been looking into purchasing a set of 1 gig dual channel ram. You may want to change your handle to ThriceShafted! (Sorry, about the bad joke, because spending money needlessly is painful)

rseven said:
ShaftedTwice...You have another problem with an upgrade of ram ,and I have the same exact problem. If you get 2 more sticks of 256 the A64 ram controller will most likely slow you down to 2t. Four sticks on these boards, at least for now, translates into slower timings as opposed to 2 sticks of 512. Hence, I've been looking into purchasing a set of 1 gig dual channel ram. You may want to change your handle to ThriceShafted! (Sorry, about the bad joke, because spending money needlessly is painful)

LoL, I hate my username, I made it a while ago, and need to ditch it..

Anyways, Im planning of 512MBx2, the ones in my sig aren't the ones I have now.

Back