• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duel PC from ground up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Ok, I am in no hurry so if I should wait please tell me. I am on a 866 mhz pc with 133 bus speed and L1 data cache is 16 and L1 code cache is 16 then a L2 256. My power supply is antec 300 watt. on my normal days I have trillian, mozilla,za,idm,and winamo running at once. I am yet to see any slow downs so far. I can also play most games atleast ones I want to play like call of duty. Still though I feel it may be time to up my pc and was wondering about some duel zeons 1.6. My question is around what would this cost me, I would need a new power supply. a mobo that supports duel cpus(sorry if thats wrong I have never seen them) some ram, the actual cpus, and last but not lost I would probaly need some good heatsinks. All and all what would this cost. If I wanted to overclock these to 3.2 each what kind of hs would I need? Around what price does it cost. Also should I just wait for like 64 bits to go down in price or just get a single cpu so I dont have to buy two 50 doller heatsinks? Sorry if this is unlcear its late and I need sleep. I will come back tomorrow and retype it if needed.

I went with the 1.6lv ebay chips, the asus pc-dl, 1gb of 140 dollar pc3200 memory and used a psu and hd I had laying around and got a 3.2Ghz (6.4) screaming meanie for about $450 ( I did this twice :) )

As diehrd mentioned, that thread will give you a wealth of info.

Also my sig shows my dually, everything is new since upgrading the old crud I own would have been worthless. Bills totals in the $2100-2200 US range, since I think you were asking about total cost.

You can cut a lot of cost from that since you probably won't need everything, and you say you aren't going for high-end ram. So just look over that thread and it'll give you and idea about how much it will cost you.

Ok I was just lookg at this some. How hard is this pin modding? I hahve only ever done the basic stuff through bios never this so will I probaly end up running my mobo attempting this? again thanks for help. Last thing, is from what I have seen 64 bit is coming but coming kind of slow. If I get these how long will they last me or will I need to up again in like 2 years?(need money for my PS3)

The modding easy.

My dual 1.6LVs @ 3.12 GHz are sitting at 31C right now and go to 50C or so at 100% load with the retail Intel HS/Fans.

Yeah, 64-bit isn't gonna take over very soon.

Go for it!

I second the easy on the pin mod. If I can do it with my shakey hands then anyone can. It just requires you to take your time and use common sense.

Just did the wire mod tonight, and it was fairly easy. I did loose two or three of the wires in the rug, at least all but one I'm sure went into the rug. I'm hoping the third did too, instead of being in the case somewhere, turned the case all directions and shook it and blew air around in it, couldn't find it. Stupid me and my shakey hands, but took my time and tomorrow I'll know if I did it right. Had to postpone rest of project due to malfunctioning camera, need pictures for the presentation. Anyways, I think you'll enjoy this experiece, I know I am.

godofgorks said:
Stupid me and my shakey hands, but took my time and tomorrow I'll know if I did it right.
I hear ya. I know I have shakey hands but there is nothing like this pin mod to really show me how bad it is. Forgive me but I felt like I had palsey or somthing.

tenchi86 said:
Hey will windows xp home handle a duel pc? or will I need pro.

You need pro.

What I suggest:

2x1.6ghz Xeons
2xIntel Windtunnel Heatsinks
Asus PC-DL
Gig of something say - corsair value select
Powersupply - I'm going to be using a tagan 480 watt psu.

That should do you :-]

Back