• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

genjaguar

Well I have a question. Does more voltage decrease stability? I tried running prime95 blend test with 252x9.5 with my ram at 1:1 at 2.5-3-3-8 at 2.6-2.8 volts and it failed within a minute. I then tried it at 2.5 volts and it ran fine for 10 minutes before I stopped it. Doesn't make much sense to me.

It depends on the chips. Some of them like big jolts of voltage (BH5) and others (TCCD) work better with modest voltage. I don't have any idea of the what chips are on your ram and if they have heat spreaders it's not so easy to find out. Perhaps, someone here at the forum knows or you could try a google search. Heres one link I found that gives chips on different brands.
http://mar.h0sted.org/ramliste250804.htm
According to that page your ram looks like tccd, which is good.
Failing in finding precise answers you are left with experimenting till you find the voltage your ram best responds to. Good Luck.

Yes, TCCD typically don't need high voltage. AFAIK it often takes some experimenting to find their sweetspot, as these chips are pretty sensitive to too high vDIMM (slightly exceeding their required vDIMM will often hurt stability and hold back OCing).

Back