• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE 7.0 - In Development

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just saw an article about this ... I think it's too late. I've "converted" to Firefox and I like it just fine! :clap:

I think it will be to late to be honest FireFox is the leading browser chosing by people today with it's security features like pop-up blocker. Microsoft will only add ideas that's been done and then add late ideas that other companies have come up with.

Complete waist of time!

being a firefox fan and dedicated user i still have to say there are way to many idiots out there that think that a microsoft product is the best thing on the plant. These are the same ppl that think Dell makes the best computers. Its all a marketing thing and most ppl just do not understand these things.

cooter said:
being a firefox fan and dedicated user i still have to say there are way to many idiots out there that think that a microsoft product is the best thing on the plant. These are the same ppl that think Dell makes the best computers. Its all a marketing thing and most ppl just do not understand these things.

For the money, Dell is the best choice out there, IMHO. I cannot build and/or warranty a machine for what Dell can. I think there are just as many people that hate Dell, without pricing them and using them. Like it or not, they make a remarkable good machine.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I think it will be to late to be honest FireFox is the leading browser chosing by people today with it's security features like pop-up blocker. Microsoft will only add ideas that's been done and then add late ideas that other companies have come up with.

Complete waist of time!

I doubt its a waist of time for microsoft. Some companies live by this business strategy. They wait to see what other products are accepted, then don't have to put in R&D money, but just swoop in and steal the market by 'copying' the product.

So microsoft will probably just incorporate all the nice, new, helpful features of browsers like firefox, and since everyone uses IE already, they will all be talking about how great the latest version is when its released.

cw823, What good is a warrantee if they wont honor it. You have to lie to Dell and purposly break parts for them to do anything. The equipment is subpar. Its worthwhile to anyone to pay a little more for a more reliable box from a different vendor. Dell sucks.

anyways back to the issue... I think its great MS is putting more effort into IE. I use both IE and Firefox. Competition makes better products. The history between Mozilla and IE has always been a flip flop. Netscape 4 was better than IE 3, IE 4-5 came out and was better than netscape 4. Netscape bombed with NS 5 and 6. Mozilla started to creap out from under NS and started to improve adding tabs etc but was still bloated. Firefox or phoenix at the time started coming out with some great releases. A lot of bugs but it was early. IE got stale at vs 6. Firefox caught up and surpassed it in some areas (malicious scrips, browser redirectors, popups, speed). Then MS pumped 80 million or something into security and added the popup blocker to windows and a few other tools. We'll see where things go from here.

AngelfireUk83 said:

Complete waist of time!

Firefox IS NOT the leading browser. it has less than a 5% market share. Most of that comes from Europe.

Remember, there ARE other browsers out there that people use. Stuff like NETSCAPE (i remember netscape 2.0),MOZILLA, OPERA, SAFARI, KONQUERER.... ya know... there are MANY other browsers other than FireFox that are out there, and most of them are really good.

However, as for Internet Explorer, it will most likely have the majority of the share here in America. We Americans are lazy, and 98% of us like things status-quo, even if that means bowing down to Brother Gates. The 2% of us that really care and use other stuff may know better, but we are the DISTINCT minority. We can do our best to convert the others to the light side of the force, but it most likely will never happen. Brother Gates has borged America, and borged all of the world but Europe.

Ebola said:
cw823, What good is a warrantee if they wont honor it. You have to lie to Dell and purposly break parts for them to do anything. The equipment is subpar. Its worthwhile to anyone to pay a little more for a more reliable box from a different vendor. Dell sucks.

Whatever

cw823 said:
For the money, Dell is the best choice out there, IMHO. I cannot build and/or warranty a machine for what Dell can. I think there are just as many people that hate Dell, without pricing them and using them. Like it or not, they make a remarkable good machine.

I agree. I don't know if they are THE best, but they do make a good product as far as desktops. I have one besides my new build and it's been great, even has its own cooling duct :D.

Back on topic, I use Firefox exclusively, but I do look forward to trying the new IE.

My friend's parents got a dell for christmas, one of their $600 options. It's actually not THAT bad. They also got a 17" LCD for no extra charge. There parts are similar to those we use.

I see all this talk about Firefox, but not much about Opera. I guess because Opera is not free, but for those of you interested look into Opera. With a lower unresolved issue rating listed at Secunia than both IE6 and Firefox 1.x you can see that the money spent is going to people at Opera working on patches to fix their issues. However with Firefox their system access vulnerabilities are at 0% on Secunia with Opera at 15% and IE at 30%. Firefox is still a favorite of mine but I am not happy with their unresolved issue rating. Since my switch to Opera, I am giving the edge to them.

Last edited:
Ir192 said:
I see all this talk about Firefox, but not much about Opera. I guess because Opera is not free, but for those of you interested look into Opera. With a lower unresolved issue rating listed at Secunia than both IE6 and Firefox 1.x you can see that the money spent is going to people at Opera working on patches to fix their issues. However with Firefox their system access vulnerabilities are at 0% on Secunia with Opera at 15% and IE at 30%. Firefox is still a favorite of mine but I am not happy with their unresolved issue rating. Since my switch to Opera, I am giving the edge to them.

hey man, i used opera from about 1999 up until last november. That's when i heard about firefox, tried it out, and switched to it. i love opera, and i love firefox. however, when it comes to plugins to 'upgrade' the browser.... firefox works a bit better. Opera never could get multimedia right.

TollhouseFrank said:
hey man, i used opera from about 1999 up until last november. That's when i heard about firefox, tried it out, and switched to it. i love opera, and i love firefox. however, when it comes to plugins to 'upgrade' the browser.... firefox works a bit better. Opera never could get multimedia right.
Interesting, I wouldn't consider myself and "experienced" Opera user yet, so I guess I will see how this plays out for me.

I used Opera 6.x-7.5 and then switched to Firefox for a while. Then I saw a beta version of Opera 8, and I've been using it. I like it better than Firefox, and its also significantly faster.

The only thing left in Opera that really bugs me is that when you are typing an address, you can't press tab to autocomplete it.

Back