• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Wont Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

I am not sure that this is the right place but I could not find anywhere better.
Today when I was browsing the net I was suddenly bombarded with an array of pop-ups thinking that something nasty was going to happen I hit the reset button. My pc then just showed a blank screen (monitor turned off) and there was hard disk access but no post. So I turned it off and left it for 5 min then tried again this time nouthing, the fans all spun up but that was it. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this and what I can do to fix it? I might try resetting the bios later, do you think that it would help?

Right, well I have reset the bios (twice for that matter) with no luck what-so-ever does anyone have any ideas? I really do kinda need your help. All of the power cables etc are in (I have double checked) and I am right out of ideas as to what it could be.

Try to boot into safe mode if it is windows. Or if you can get ahold of one, try a knoppix cd. that will atleast let you know that your pc is functional.

No, it does not even post, I just see a blank screen (monitor does not change from orange to green and no hard disk access) the fans just spin up and that is it.

I wouldn't think that popups would harm your hardware. If I change the slots that my memory is in, it will post to the bios screen. It is worth a shot.

Well, I did just change my PSU from a crappy q-tec to a nice tagan. But while my rails were nicer my 12V was going a 12.6 which is a bit high. I have no spare vid card but should it not still beep at me telling me that something is missing? I will take it all out and put it back in tomoz. Once, one of my friends told me that he has his bios whiped by hackers and I have lived in fear ever since....

Maybe your motherboard is fried? You could try the components on another mobo if you can.

Once, one of my friends told me that he has his bios whiped by hackers and I have lived in fear ever since....
BIOS wiped by hackers. Uh huh. No.

It's quite possible that the system wouldn't beep. Try the spare video card, for lack of anything else to do. Also, reseat all of your components - RAM, video card, etc. Something could have been bumped loose.

Do the fans spin up and then back down, or do they stay on?

The fans spin up and they stay on. The hard disks also spin up, and while you can see no drive access (hdd light) you can still hear the 'noise' that they make when data is read.

This is the end...

Well, after taking everything out and putting it back in again with no luck, all I have just given up. I am out of ideas and I do not really think that it is worth rmaing stuff. :cry:

It was over one and a half years ago that I got all of the stuff for my new pc, and the only way to describe it is pc hell. Nouthing but bad luck. First it was a bad mobo, 6 months later I got a new one, then it was a bad video card, with crashes every 10min in games. So I left my pc like this for a while then got a new PSU as I was planning to get a new video card, and now this it is probably some bad voltage from the psu or the mobo has just given up. What a waist of my money, by the time I had got the pc working I had already lost £300+ (as the prices went down) then I was going to have to pay £300+ for a new video card. I never got to even try to overclock it. It has been nouthing but a waist of money, my money. So I think that I might cut my loses and by myself a Dell, or something from an OEM atleast they work and have a nice warrenty. As for the computer, I am not sure might be able to salvage some of the stuff, unless someone can get it working that is. Now, I have a good few hours of school work to catch up on as my last backup is a few days ol.d :bang head .

All I can say is hard luck.

Maybe next time you could buy a completely new rig rather then upgrading, but then again you said something about school and buying a new computer when one is still at school isn't something every student can do (I know because I'm still at school too :()

Perhaps try a different power supply before you give up all together. Troubleshooting is a pain in the *** sometimes but it can be worth it in the end. Sometimes the least likely thing will work. Best of luck to you matey.

Well, I changed the powersupply a couple of days ago from a Q-Tec 550W (pos) to a nice new Tagan 420W. I will try putting the q-tec back in.

Well, I put the q-tec back in and the same thing happend. What shall I do now, bar getting out the video camera and the hammer for some authentic computer abuse videos?

Back