• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Unknown USB Device Connected' - Maxtor External HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erics2one

Registered
Is basically the error that I get when I plug in my BRAND NEW Maxtor 3100 80GB External HD.

This drive works fine on my other computers.

I have recently formatted my HD, and the first thing I did after installing the OS was:

1. Anti-Virus (Norton and AVG)
2. Windows updates (SP2...and everything after)
3. MSI MB driver updates

Plugged in the HD and got error, and nothing shows in My computer.

Went to Maxtor site to get HD Utility and nothing. Of course there aren't drivers for XP.

Any help would be much appreciated. I didn't think it'd be an hardware issue, or the device wouldn't be detected at all...but I dunno.

Thanks.

MSI Neo 875

Thought I tried that before, but will do again and update.

Thanks

Last time I had this, it was a hardware conflict (probably IRQ): when I replaced the ATI PCI Rage2C (don't ask) with a AGP GF2MX it worked. So play around with those things, change IRQs, put cards in different slots, disable unused onboard stuff, etc.

klingens - I've tried all 4 USB ports in the back. I have none in the front.

Know Nuttin - I've downloaded all the Intel, MSI, and XP updates.

cw823 - There really aren't any specific drivers that are available for this in XP. Its supposed to 'successfully' install them itself without the need for any additional drivers. I have updated the MSI drivers for the USB ports. But nothing specifically for the Maxtor drive.

The USB ports will operate other USB devices perfectly fine. So I don't think its an MB hardware issue.

Maxtor says that it would use the 'Mass Storage Device' drivers that are installed with the Windows OS. So if after more trouble shooting and tests I still have problems, I guess I could try to repair those files.

I uninstalled everything under USB controllers in Device Manager, rebooted, and they were all detected and installed properly. The HD still does not install though, and doesn't work.

for lack of writing out the details...
DeviceManager.jpg

So either:

Replace my Antec 480 (unlikely)
Change IRQ voltage settings?
Or get an USB Hub?

I don't see why I'd have to get an USB hub to run a HD, when the HD will linkup and install perfectly fine to my 4 year old Compaq.

:bang head

I don't think it's a power issue. Why isn't your onboard sound working? Looks like you're not using it, so disable it in the BIOS. Might help. Hmmmm Have you tried forcing it to use the regular "mass storage device" drivers? You shouldn't have to, but I want to see what will happen if you do. Lastly, what mobo is it?

device manager, select "unknown device", hit "update driver", then choose "install from a list or specific location", then tell it not to search, and you should be able at some point to choose the mass storage driver. I"m still going to dig a bit more and see if I can find any other info.

erics2one said:
So either:

Replace my Antec 480 (unlikely)
Change IRQ voltage settings?
Or get an USB Hub?

I don't see why I'd have to get an USB hub to run a HD, when the HD will linkup and install perfectly fine to my 4 year old Compaq.

:bang head

Get a USB hub with it's own power source. I gotten a symptom similar to that with my Logitech WingMan RumblePad cordless controller, because of not having a self powered USB hub. I did remember seeing the documentation that came with with the controller explicitly stating that a self powered USB hub is required.

Thus, the same is likely true with an external HDD.

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
Get a USB hub with it's own power source. I gotten a symptom similar to that with my Logitech WingMan RumblePad cordless controller, because of not having a self powered USB hub. I did remember seeing the documentation that came with with the controller explicitly stating that a self powered USB hub is required.

Thus, the same is likely true with an external HDD.

Then why does it work with a 4-year old Compaq? Clearly the machine recognizes it....thus my disbelief of a power issue

cw823 said:
Then why does it work with a 4-year old Compaq? Clearly the machine recognizes it....thus my disbelief of a power issue

Exactly my thoughts. I knew I wasn't the only one.

When I told the drivers to update automaticly it never found the Mass Storage Device drivers, and just said drivers could not be found. Remember this is a freshly installed OS (and a side note...I use a thumb drive regularly, which I believe uses those Mass Storage Device drivers).

Thanks for putting forward the effort, much appreciated...

...but damn am I baffled :confused:

It may be possible there is a mass storage setting in the BIOS. You may have to enable legacy support and perhaps set a delay time for the USB mass storage device. I have an Asus board that has specific settings to deal with USB Mass Storage Devices.

Z

Yes the BIOS sometimes does contain such settings and you have to make sure that you have them properly configured so your device will function flawlessly. Good luck.

-sharky

if it was a lack of power, windows xp should let you know that the device could not be started due to a lack of power...

i guess i would check the bios like others have suggested to see what sort of mass storage device options & settings it may have

Back