• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGGGGHHHHHH!!! Crappy Graphics!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mentalentil0

Hi there! I got my computer free from my next door neighbour when he bought a new computer. It had loads of girl stuff (like barbie) cause it was his daughters. I couldent uninstall it (hordes of error messages) so i reinstalled windows by using my old windows 98 SE installation cd. But the main problem is that since i reinstalled windows, i only have a max of 16 colors graphics, and a resolution of less than 600x650!!! I will type all the details i can about the graphics controller thingy, and will someone ppplllleeeaasee see if they can find some good drivers for it? thanks.
Details:

Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard Display Types)
Chip Type: Mono
DAC Type: Internal
Memory: 64K
Software Version: 4.0
Current Files: vga.drv, *vdd

I only know that before that i reinstalled windows, i could get true color, and proper graphics, but now they've gone. any help would be massivley appreciated. :bang head thanks.

The reason it's called Standard PCI Graphics Adapter is because Windows 98 did not recognize it as any of the adapters that it has built-in drivers for. It's basically an unknown to Windows at the moment.

What you need are to obtain the correct video drivers for whatever kind of computer you have. If it is a name brand, give us the brand and model number and I'm sure we can figure it out (or you can go to the manufacturer's website, look in Support, and find the drivers).

If it's a clone/home built PC, you'll have to pop it open and see what kind of video card it is. Maybe take a picture and post it here.

He's right. Just look at the video chipset on either the video card, or the motherboard (if it's onboard) and we can point you the right direction.

mentalentil0 said:
Hi there! I got my computer free from my next door neighbour when he bought a new computer. It had loads of girl stuff (like barbie) cause it was his daughters. I couldent uninstall it (hordes of error messages) so i reinstalled windows by using my old windows 98 SE installation cd. But the main problem is that since i reinstalled windows, i only have a max of 16 colors graphics, and a resolution of less than 600x650!!! I will type all the details i can about the graphics controller thingy, and will someone ppplllleeeaasee see if they can find some good drivers for it? thanks.
Details:

Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard Display Types)
Chip Type: Mono
DAC Type: Internal
Memory: 64K
Software Version: 4.0
Current Files: vga.drv, *vdd

I only know that before that i reinstalled windows, i could get true color, and proper graphics, but now they've gone. any help would be massivley appreciated. :bang head thanks.

I would also reformat before reinstalling Windows, if you're able to make a boot floppy disk.

If Windows 98 SE comes with a driver for the modem, you then can connect to the internet to download the video card drivers.

hmmmmm....

I will try those drivers 2moz, but in the meantime, i will give you the info off the internal graphics, when i opened the case:

3DPro SiS AGP8M

Thats all that was written on the chip.

any further drivers or help?

oh, and i want to say, i am new to the computer world, and usually, if you want some help, people are either purposely unhelpful or want something in return. But when i came here, i was suprised to see people who will actually helpful, so thanks, and i will try and return the favour :D

:attn: :attn: :attn: I really like this smiley! :attn: :attn:

Slackfumasta said:
And don't be fooled, OCForums sends me a big fat check every month for doing this.

:D I want in!

lol, if only that were true. thanks for the drivers though.

Back