• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox ram usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Woah. . .same thing happens to this PC with IE. With OC Forums maximized, it was at 31 MB. Minimized, 4 MB. Re-maximized, 19 MB.

It's probably normal, but I sure wouldn't have guessed that would happen.

When you minimize firefox, it automatically pages almost all of itself out to virtual memory. If you View -> Select Columns -> Virutal Memory Size (within the Task Manager), you'll see that Firefox reserves quite a bit of virtual memory (45MB at the moment on my system, while using 35MB of RAM). While Firefox normally dosen't use all of that space, it reserves it for when you minimize. Several other programs do this same thing, one I can think of off the top of my head is Trillian, which shrinks from a dozen or so MB down to about 3MB when in the tray.

JigPu

Last edited:
ok you gotta see this!
untitled.png

i actually did this on purpose..
i opened up all of the 5 pages of the official desktop thread...
lets see anyone top that (without the use of uberleet mspaint/photoshop skillz please) :attn:

threeme2189 said:
sorry if this is a double post but i just had to go higher...170 meg is the current record for firefox ram usage! top that!
untitled2.png

dont ask what i opened in order to do this. (dont worry it aint pr0n its pic loaded ocforum pages)

Its not that hard to do. I'm just showing you that it can be done. Lets not make a competion out of it, as its not hard to increase the amount of ram that firefox uses.

Attachments

• I_win.JPG
    I_win.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 171
threeme2189 said:
bah...how much ram do you have in that box???? 2 gigs?
ur using ummm 500+ mb's in that pic man thats crazy...

Im using about 900mb in that screen shot.

I have between 1 and 2 GBs. Still trying to work out the kinks that come with running 2 GBs.

Firefox has a memleak I heard. Can happen, but doesn't have to, when opening and closing tabs.
Supposedly fixed in the 1.8 version of Mozilla which will be the base for Firefox 1.1
FFox also has a 50MB or so memory cache for pages and you can increase it with about:config easily.

Yup my FF uses between 25-70 megs viewing the forums just 1 tab open. Open the typical e-mail account, secondary search page, and a few more forum windows here for OC and its well up to 100megs.

Truely IE doesn't use that much space when viewing those pages, since I got IE and FF on the same computer I can test results between the 2. Hopfully FF will become better as time goes on because I do enjoy it more then IE. But then again IE runs things FF doesn't, which can be really annoying.

willkill1337 said:
Firefox cannot possibly ever use as much Ram as all of the spyware you will inevitably recieve as a result of using IE.

/me hides in the trees, hoping not for a flame war.

Truely don't know what website you visit to get all the spyware. Prior to using FF I rarly got spyware, yet today I still recieve the same amount as I did with IE. Only difference is that FF takes longer to load, and I like the tab system in FF to keep the taskbar cleaner.

BTW posting flame war, only will contribute to one, advise not saying those 2 words in any thread.

Back