• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL includes heatsink retention clips ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DipStickTony

I just got my brand new pc-dl from zzf today, and finally started putting my dually together.

I have some LV 1.6 xeons and some mcx603 heatsinks. The 603's come with almost no mounting hardware and either did the pc-dl. The instructions on the swiftech's state that the clips come with the motherboard, and in the mobo box the clips are no where to be found.

Was my box missing them or do I need to order additional mounting hardware ?

The clips I need are the ones in this picture:
mcx603vclip.jpg

you have to buy like 25 min from intel....your best bet is to just goto 2cpu.com and ask in the FS/FT forums....I'm sure someone has a set they'd sell for a couple bucks.

Argh what a pain in the ...

Alright I'm going to post in the classifieds there and in here and hopefully someone has a set.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Swiftech sells through-the-board mounting hardware for $4. I think Swiftech is assuming you are buying retail CPUs which do come with those clips, obviously 1.6lv's off ebay don't...

BTW - my [email protected]@2.8ghz with IWTs are running at 40c full load...so you should see some nice (and quiet) temps with those MCX603's.

Do you know if you need these with the IWT?

The IWTs I ordered from acmemicro.com came with all the hardware (including the clips) I needed. If you are getting them off ebay just make sure the mounting hardware is included.

The 2 HSFs I got were not the same however, one had a copper base and all aluminum fins, and the other had an alumunim base with mostly copper fins. So far the processors are running within 1C of each other.

Thanks for the link but I think im going to go with the optional retention hardware for a few extra dollars to ensure compatibility if I upgrade anytime soon.

They were talking about the clips that hold the heatsink onto the plastic mounting frames you got with the motherboard. Those plastic frames are screwed into the backplates through the motherboard. The clips fasten the heatsink to the plastic frames. They come with the retail Intel Wind Tunnel HS/Fans that come with retail Xeons.

Back