• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp64 beta? how do you like it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well right now i am d/ling xp 64 to test it on my computer. Since it's gonna be released pretty soon (knowing MS it could be next year lol), i wanted to test the beta version to see if its worth it.

Anyone care to give you opinions on it? I checked all my hardware, and it all has drivers for xp 64.

1289 build is great...installed my realtek GB onboard LAN directly from the install...have heard some horror stories on the Nvidia 64 beta drivers...the ATI beta #5 is working great...scored 264-- without a OC on my card...I can not find any OCing program for the card to run on win64 or I could of possible had 27k...

had a hell of a time trying to install sound drivers, or network drivers, or graphic drivers on my dfi lanparty nf4... went back to xp pro and everything installed fine

it doesn't seem to be supported hugely yet... so maybe in a year or two

I have the rc2 version installed, but for some really weird reason my wireless network won't work. The cd ships with drivers for broadcom, but after the computer was running for half an hour the whole adapter just vanished... In device manager it just says that "the device has known errors with windows and has been disabled"!

You'd think it would tell you atleast when disabling something like that, and one would also imagine finding something in google about it.

Everything has bugs, expesially windows when its trying to rewrite the minimum code to get 64-bit to work correctly.

Since its a newer release, I'd guess it take a few months before quiet a bit of drivers are out for the 64-bit edition of windows. Mid-Late Summer things will be runnnig smoother.

filip04

ATI and Nvidia (if using the OBS) and realtek have already released new BETA drivers for the 1289 beta...this will cover the sound and video and network drivers...

BTW - Just installed COD and MOHAA on X64...they both play without issues...

thegreek said:
is it much faster?

As of right now...using beta drivers...about the same...the graphics look better in extra detail...

The key thing I like about build 1289 is...they call it SP1 for X64...really it is SP2 redone for X64...

The one thing I have noticed is...super pi and pifast is slower on x64...but this could once again because of beta drivers...

Either way...the 1289 build is the best so far...

Back