• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

Well i live out of town and just now this company put up this wireless fo them slef and any one within range can use it (im out of range thanx to a hill and trees)

but...
i have a laptop with wireless and i want to know what i can do...
the tower is very small and a feew people around have the wireless so i could use there wireless ... but i can drive up right beside the tower so i wana know if there is a way to get it.

also i have a hill 200-300 feet away that can see the tower (i think)
so if i can see it from there what sould i do? call the wireless guys tell them to intsall my setup there and run a hard line to me>?

waht shoudl the hardline be? how much do u think it would cost?

but for right now i wana know how to use the net for free off of this hot spot or w/e (PS im in canada and legally i can do this i just dont know how...)
my laptop is a compaq presario R3000 witht the wireless.

i need high speed net... SO bad. even if i have to drive to the tower to use it im fine with that for now...

Attachments

• tower sat small.JPG
    tower sat small.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 26
  • tower small.JPG
    tower small.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
  • tower box small.JPG
    tower box small.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
This is what I would do in your situation:

1. Set up a small tower of my own on the hill that can see the other tower. It would be tall enough to provide a clear view of the tower.

2. Get a directional wifi antenna for the top of my tower and point it at the source tower.

3. Get a router (or better yet a wireless to ethernet bridge) designed to be used outdoors in an enclosure, connect the antenna to it, and mount it on the tower.

4. Run ethernet cable underground from the router or bridge to my house. You'd need to use wire that's rated for underground installation.

5. Hook the cable into a switch or other distribution device in my house.

This would be fairly expensive, but would work very well. You can find information on the directional antennas and other equipment all over the web. Good luck!

Ken

Ya im 17... and i dont have much money i might be able to spend a bit and my parents might help i need somthing more afordable and simple ( so can i use a cat5 cable ?and just cover it in a tube and run it ontop of the ground ? (cover it like inside PVC pipe or somthing...?

um i have a Dlink wireless router coulnt i just hook that out side besite the tower inside a tupperware tub or somthing? then the wireless would go to my house?

but im more concerned right now on what to do when im right besid the tower..

syberspy9 said:
Well i live out of town and just now this company put up this wireless fo them slef and any one within range can use it (im out of range thanx to a hill and trees)

Did this particular company actually state publically that anybody within WiFi range can use thier signal? If they didn't state that everybody could use it, you'd be stealing.

um well i contacted them and waiting for there reply but i know that war driving and every thing is legal...

i dont think that will matter thought cuz some one else informed me that i cant use the setup that was sugested^ because i would need a ip addy there server recognizes if not then i will just be regected so it would be imposable to "steal"the wireless.

so rather tahn buying my own wifi thing i think i will get them to come out and put one up then i will just use my cable for the 300ft and my tower to let me get the signle to my house...
so i would pay liek any other person...
legally

Back