• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.6LV Dually Came To Life - Kind Of

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godofgorks

Well finished up the build earlier tonight and got it running for the past few hours. Had it running at 16x200 and was playing Halo (came free with sound card) for over and hour and had no trouble. Then I loaded up Sandra and other stability/benching programs, and I kept getting errors right away with Prime 95. It had been running 3.2 Ghz for a good 2-3 hours. :-/

I go and check the bios out, and everything seems fine so I bump up the memory and chipset voltage. The memory defaulted to 2.5Cas at 200fsb even though its 2 so I manually set that. Thought maybe it was memory/fsb related due to that experience but didn't know for sure what causing the problem but figure it might help anyway. Run Prime again to no success, keeps getting errors right off the start.

So back into bios I go and I drop the multi to 15, and set the voltages back down to default.

Had 4 instances of Prime 95 going for awhile. CPU 0 and 1 were running large in place FFT while I put small FTT's on 2 and 3. Three tried and I keep getting errors just on CPU 0, while the other three CPU's kept going and are doing great. I switched CPU 0 to small FTT and it seems to be holding okay now. :-/

Temps seem to be fairly decent, even right after loading all 4 CPU's with prime for a good hour after the system has been running for a good 5-6 with little downtime.

Just rebooted to find highest temps in bios at
CASE - 40
CPU1 - 52
CPU2 - 49

And I was just wondering which graphs and which processors when setting affinity are the physical and logical. I'm thinking its 0,1 physical 2,3 logical, or could be 0,2 physical 1,3 logical? I really am just assuming.

I was going to run large FTT's on the physical and small FTT on the logical to fully load the system. Maybe I'm just thinking backwards. Any suggestions on setting up and testing for stability with these duallies would be appreciated.

Specs as of now, only errors one CPU with large FTT's
2x 1.6LV at 3.0 (15x200) at 1.6v
2-2-2-5 at 2.7v 1G (512 x 2) in dual channel
chipsets at 1.6v

Sorry about the long post, trying to be fairly descriptive and not miss anything that might help.

Edit- Bad Speller ;)

If you consistently get one cpu failing it is probably clocked too high. Large FFT on all four is the way I tested my dually.

Try lowering to 15x200 or maybe just 16x190 or so and see if it still fails. it might just be your overclock, and one cpu could be slightly weaker than the other.

EDIT: didn't read closely enough, seems you tried that already. have you tried looser memory timings just to rule that out?

Well the memory is rated at 2-2-2-5 at 200fsb at 2.6v and I will check that later just to make sure I didn't get shafted.

Running 4 large FTT at 15x200 with 1.8 chipset and 2.8 dram now, going to see how well that does then call it a night, not gonna run it overnight yet.

Thanks for the quick reply and info on which test to use. And since it'll be the same test all around it doesn't matter which cpu is getting which test anymore.

Oh I believe the general consensus is that the chipset voltage doesn't make a difference and can be left at default. Forgot to mention that.

On another note how is your psu handling everything? I have the -PLN with the split 12V rails and I think its giving me problems (as others have had problems with split rail psu's and dual xeons) and was thinking about ordering the -PLG model. In your sig it says "-PLG2" what is the significance of the "2" at the end? I haven't seen that model before.

It's a -plg, the 2 was just a typo.

After I bumped the voltages, chipset and dram to max bios values I ran large FTT on all four CPU's for over and hour without errors. Going to do some more testing once I get home from school.

Okay bringing back this thread since it is more relevant to the topic. Some of this was discussed is another thread.

I was testing the Ram, tested each stick individually and both ran 205 for a few hours of 4x Prime at 2-2-2-6 at 2.7v. So the sticks seem to be working just fine. I pop them in together and if 8 minutes of prime two instances error out. Tried several times and different places it errors and also on different processors which are running 12x multi so that takes them out of the picture.

I take both sticks out of the blue dual channel sockets and place them in the black dual channel sockets. Running 200fsb for almost 2 hours and going. Could it really have been as simple as switching the set of ram sockets?

200x12 2-2-2-6 @ 2.7v Dual Black Sockets

Once I dig up a working floppy, transfer the picture to this computer, and figure out how to post a pic, I'll have a screenie for you.

EDIT-

This fsb is nothing that special. Some have these chips over or around 210 fsb just seems something was screwy (very Prime unstable) with my machine and it seemed to go away once I swapped the ram slots. From the blue dual set (#1 & #3) to the black dual set (#2 & #4)

PIC - had to compress to get it to upload, not too good with pictures, but there is always time to learn.

Click to download. http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39087

That only took like 35 minutes, but its there now. Also it's now been Prime stable for 3+ hours. I'm going to leave it run the night and try upping the fsb tomorrow.

Last edited:
After thinking a little maybe you ment some pictures of the computer. Well they were huge 1600x1200 and way over the limit but I finally used a neat little program on this computer. Resized, cropped, and now withen size limits. It was bugging me I didn't know what I was doing so I stayed up in the till 2 a.m. and figured it out.

And now it's pushing 4 hours without a hitch. And I do love the fact that even with the CPU's maxed out I could sit down, format a floppy, take a screen shot and save it to the floppy without a single slowdown. Someone mentioned once you go dually you never go back, and it could not be more true.

EDIT - In a good mood since the computer is running well and learned how to edit and attach pictures correctly. Somehow I screwed up the other one so I had to patch it with a hyperlink.

After checking the computer this morning one instance of Prime errored out after 13 hours 25 minutes, only 15 minutes before I checked it. :( The switch of the ram slots surely helped the system's stability but was not a total fix, more is still to be done and found. Maybe 200 was just not ment to be for me.

And as I saw in the Sticky I'd like to clarify I'm using the PQI not the Patiot XBL. Both are TCCD but there may be a slight difference between brands.

Back