• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trouble updating to servicepack 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronP

Hey, remember me? (the guy with the problem that he couldnt update)
Well i fixed whateever windows error i got which was due to a modified windows kernal (the one for bootscreens and visual styles)
But i have a different problem. When updating to SP2 via CD, it gets to the part where the service pack is beginning to install, but then closes, and gives me the error "Make sure Cryptographic services is running" I did that. It was on in services.msc, so I disabled it, renabled it, turned it from automatic and manual and disabled. What am I do wrong? or am I missing something because no matter what I do to cryptographic services, it keeps telling me its not enabled. I followed blackvipers instructions for sp1a, and i revereted all my settings to default, whats wrong? thanks in advanced

Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each...

net stop cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 ...(After renaming this folder and rebooting, Windows will generate a new, clean folder, and you can then delete the renamed one.)

...reboot, then try installing SP2 again.

AaronP said:
when typing in ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 im getting "A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found."

is that normal?

Are you subsituting C:\WINNT for %systemroot%

%systemroot% is whatever your windows is installed to, like C:\windows

AaronP said:
when typing in ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 im getting "A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found."

is that normal?
Manually check in the C:\Windows\System32 directory for a oldcatroot2 folder, and if found...delete it. The point is...you need to either delete the contents of the catroot2 folder, or rename the folder (I only used oldcatroot2 as an example of what to rename it to...you can rename it to anything you'd like). The problem is more than likely the fact that the contents of the catroot2 folder are corrupt, which is the cause of SP2 not installing.

You could also try the following commands, precluding the need for a reboot...

net stop cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2

net start cryptsvc

...then try installing SP2 again. Note: Like cw mentioned, the %systemroot% directory is "C:\Windows" in XP, and "C:\WINNT" in W2K.

Back