• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant Rebooting Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

I really need some help here guys, I'm out of ideas. My computer is always restarting, usually upon boot and often when trying to shut down (restarts instead of shutting down) Here's what I've done about it up to now...

1) Replaced PSU with brand new Antech 400w Smartpower

2) Tried new memory

3) Tried new video card

4) Tried new HDD

5) Disconnected power cable from surge protector and plugged it directly into the wall (thinking maybe it was a bad surge protector)

None of these have fixed the problem. I am going to try and replace the IDE cable and if that doesn't correct the issue then I am going to assume it's my mobo (Asus) but they will charge me if it turns out there's nothing wrong with the mobo. Any help here is appreciated...

I dont see what the power button would have to do with constant rebooting, it powers up fine. My temps are fine, my cpu is just lightly oc'd and thats it. I have the problem even from a cold startup. I thought for sure that replacing the psu would fix it, I am thinking it might be my mobo.

A few strange things though, it never seems to do it in safe mode also after the computers been running for about 20 minutes or so I can leave it on all day without one reboot. Although when I try to shut down it will usually reboot on me.

Maybe Windows went haywire for some reason... reformat? Clear CMOS and use default settings, no OC? Sorry to hear your comp is giving your problems =T

Sorry I should have noted that reformatting and fresh installing windows is the first thing I did, I have cleared cmos as well. :bang head

dreamtfk said:
Sorry I should have noted that reformatting and fresh installing windows is the first thing I did, I have cleared cmos as well. :bang head

I believe the x800 is an ATI video card? I think you have a video driver problem. It doesn't reboot in Safe mode because the drivers aren't installed yet. Also, once it starts running fine, it continues, a typical faulty ATI driver install thing to do. I've had this kind of problem with just about every ATI card I ever owned. It usually happens when you try to reinstall drivers while other ATI drivers are still in place. Did you do that? Or try to install upgrades with the old drivers still in place? Have you checked the ATI site for necessary fixes?

Try going into safe mode and removing the ATI drivers.

Reboot. Check the registry using regedit for ANY hint of ATI stuff. Delete anything you find associated with ATI.

Reboot.

Does it boot properly?

If yes. Get your original ATI disk and install the drivers. Reboot.

Is it ok now?

By the way, what new video card did you try and did you remove the ATI drivers BEFORE installing the new card?

Back