• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new system, need your help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fultz

Well first let me start out by saying that I can't build the system myself because while I know most things about the internal structure of a computer, i've never installed a processor or motherboard or heatsinks or fans so I can't do it myself.

I have a budget of about $1,700 USD for the computer without the Mouse, Keyboard or Monitor. I could probably surpass this budget by a little but I can't go much over. I think for $1,700 USD I should be able to get a pretty nice setup.

I am thinking about waiting another month or so if NVIDIA or ATI are going to release a new line of graphics card because I want to buy two ultras and link them in SLI. I also am hoping that within the next couple months (no more than two) that somebody releases a 16x16 SLI board so that I don't have to settle for 8x8. After I get this computer im not going to be able to buy a new setup (processor, motherboard) for at least 3 Years. I can upgrade the ram and graphics cards but I can't buy new base components so I want to get it right the first time for the cheapest price I possibly can.

My current setup (not that it matters):

Intel Celeron Northwood 2.20GHz, 400MHz FSB, 128KB Cache
Intel D845GVSR Motherboard
256MB PC-2700 DDR-SDRAM @ 133MHz
Western Digital 37.2GB IDE HDD [2MB Cache]
Intel(R) 82845G 64MB Onboard Graphics
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B [CD-RW+DVD-ROM] Combo Drive
Intergraded Onboard AC-97 Sound
17" Gateway Monitor
-- System Max Resolution: 1280x1024 @ 60Hz

This system benchmarks 30fps in Max Payne @ 800x600 all settings on default. I get 15fps in GTA3 all settings on lowest @ 800x600 and I have to look at the ground to run. I get 4fps in Max Payne 2 @1024x768 all settings on default and I get 8fps in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within with all details set to low @1024x768.

I ran 3DMark 2003 @ High settings, 4 of the tests weren't even supported by my hardware and my total score was 907. During the benchmarks I never got a framerate higher than 14fps constant.

The rig I plan on buying is going to need to be suitible for intense 3D gaming and computing and it's going to need to be able to handle PC games for the next 2 or 3 years before I can afford to upgrade the graphics cards. If NVIDIA and ATI release a new line of graphics cards and somebody releases a 16x16 Pipeline version of the PCIe SLI boards then im going to buy Dual GeForce 6800 Ultra's in SLI and that should handle the graphics for a few years I would hope...

So for $1700 what would you guys recommend? I was thinking something along these lines should be suitible but if you think I should change anything that would help to increase performance or price please do!

-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz, 512kb Cache Socket 939 64-BIT
-Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD
-Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
-16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
-1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
-Thermaltake 480W Power Supply
-Thermaltake AMD 64 Venus 12 Cooling Fan (5500RPM)
-1GB Dual-Channel Ram @400MHz or DDR2 @533MHz Depending on what the motherboard supports
-Whichever Motherboard that is 16x16 SLI Compliant if one comes out OR probably the nforce4
-2x NVIDIA GeForce 6800 ULTRA's 256mb PCIe in SLI 16x16 if the price on the ultras lower and a 16x16 SLI compiant motherboard is released.

I know it seems stupid to be putting things in my config which aren't out yet and may never be released but this is just what I would like to have, im sure sometime soon they will be releasing a 16x16 version of SLI. I know for a fact they will release new graphics cards but im not sure when, is there anything I should change or any idea what I should get if those aren't released within the next two months or so? $1700 Budget remember...

First, welcome to the forums!

Second....
fultz said:
so I can't do it myself.....
that crap won't fly here :p
you can easily install a processor and fans and anything else...by yourself, very simple...they use zero insertion force cpu's...meaning it'll drop right in if it's aligned correctly, so if it doesn't fall in, check the alignment and try again.

Your components you picked out are pretty solid. I'm not sure what all the stuff you listed to adds up, but the only thing I would upgrade would be your HDD to a raptor (actualy probably adding one and leaving the OS and games on the raptor and everything else on the secondary storage drive).
I'm not sure on the 16x16 SLI, but right now people are liking the DFI nf4 SLI board that's out.

ajrettke said:
First, welcome to the forums!

Second....

that crap won't fly here :p
you can easily install a processor and fans and anything else...by yourself, very simple...they use zero insertion force cpu's...meaning it'll drop right in if it's aligned correctly, so if it doesn't fall in, check the alignment and try again.

Your components you picked out are pretty solid. I'm not sure what all the stuff you listed to adds up, but the only thing I would upgrade would be your HDD to a raptor (actualy probably adding one and leaving the OS and games on the raptor and everything else on the secondary storage drive).
I'm not sure on the 16x16 SLI, but right now people are liking the DFI nf4 SLI board that's out.

Easy for somebody who's done it before, not so easy for somebody who has nobody to show them how to do it and can't afford to buy another one if it breaks. I can install ram, hard drive, dvd drive, case, sound card, video card and everything but the motherboard and the processor and the fans are the only things I have no clue on how to install (believe me, if I did i'd do it myself, I could build this machine for $1400 excluding the dual ultras for a single GT the only way i want dual ultras is if the price drops).

The main thing im worried about is damaging the processor, the motherboards are strong and its not like im going to be reckless with the stuff, but I heard processors are really delicate and that the prongs bend really easy and if you aren't careful sliding them in place then you could bust the prongs. I also don't know how to apply the thermal paste or where to put it. :bang head

Thanks for the welcome!

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I have nearly the exact same computer...

Gateway? The one with the Onboard graphics...82845G...piece of crap...

That's why im getting a new one... LOL the chip in the software says 64MB but with 3DMark2001 SE it says 6mb lmao!!! :(

I have never installed or touched a processor, but i feel VERY confident I could do it, just by reading these forums

No use wasting money because you're unsure. these people WILL help you, and I hear processors are strong enough, it's not like you're going to throuh a 300 dollar square...i wouldn't

I feel pretty confident I could do it too, but not confident enough to risk damage a $300 piece of hardware... especially since I don't have the money to replace it. I agree about their being no sense in wasting money... If somebody could explain it to me in total detail then I may give it a try... from buying the components all the way to installing the hard drive, the dvd drive the power supply the cpu fan the cpu and the motherboard, i can handle everything else.

I built my first computer exactly one year ago and paid $1800 for the parts. I had never installed a CPU before either. Now I build computers for friends and family. If you have opened the case and installed memory and drives then you can do this.
Find a website that goes through the steps and trust in your ability. You will get a lot of satisfaction from it, not to mention the savings.
Don't force anything, it only goes in one way, and take precautions to ground yourself.

Here's a site I just googled
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_parts_list.shtml

Hey thanks for getting the link and the advice but how do I know if one thing is compatible with the next? Im not stupid, I know what slots parts need I just don't know anything about hard drive ribbons and things... Thanks.

If you buy retail parts they will come with all the connectors you need. SATA drives come with round SATA cables and IDE drives with ribbon cables.

fultz said:
-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz, 512kb Cache Socket 939 64-BIT Go for the 3200+; the performance increase of the 3500+ is marginal and can easily be had by overclocking
-Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD
-Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
-16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive NEC 3520A!
-1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
-Thermaltake 480W Power Supply You need a better power supply. Look at the Fortron Blue Storm 500W.
-Thermaltake AMD 64 Venus 12 Cooling Fan (5500RPM) I'd get some better cooling. Try a Thermalright XP-90 or XP-120 for those high overclocks.
-1GB Dual-Channel Ram @400MHz or DDR2 @533MHz Depending on what the motherboard supports Think TCCD here. Since you have such a big budget, go for some G. Skill PC 4400
-Whichever Motherboard that is 16x16 SLI Compliant if one comes out OR probably the nforce4 Currently, DFI makes some of the best NF4 motherboards around. I'd suggest one of those.
-2x NVIDIA GeForce 6800 ULTRA's 256mb PCIe in SLI 16x16 if the price on the ultras lower and a 16x16 SLI compiant motherboard is released. Personally, I don't find SLI to be very practical. I think you'd be much better off with one 6800 Ultra or an x850XT PE.

deception``

My god! A CPU fan that costs over $100? Are you sure this isn't just luxury and it's not something I need? The most I would be overclocking an amd athlon 64 3500+ would be from 2.2 to 2.5ghz and I think a $38 cpu cooling fan should be able to handle that. Also is thermaltake power supply not good or is it the 480W? 480 Watt seems to be a lot more than most people have...

fultz said:
My god! A CPU fan that costs over $100? Are you sure this isn't just luxury and it's not something I need? The most I would be overclocking an amd athlon 64 3500+ would be from 2.2 to 2.5ghz and I think a $38 cpu cooling fan should be able to handle that. Also is thermaltake power supply not good or is it the 480W? 480 Watt seems to be a lot more than most people have...

1. Neither Thermalright heatsinks should costs $100. Both can be easily found for under $50.

2. A 3200+ processor will easily clock to 2.5 Ghz with less cost.

3. 480W isn't bad, but you should be looking at something over 500W if you honestly plan to run two 6800 Ultra's in SLI with an overclocked system. Also, the Thermaltake is a 20-pin power supply, and it's recommended that you use a native 24-pin unit with NF4 systems.

deception``

Back