• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Communications Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOmegaChrist

Hey I am working on a Toshiba Laptop. The modem is not dialing up properly, and I have tried a ton of things. The communcations port is not present in device manager, and I tried various ways to add the communications port. I also even reformatted the computer and did a fresh install of XP. We also added in a PCI modem and still no dice. Anyone have any ideas why that would occur, could it be some other kind of hardware failure? Let me know, thanks.

installing the chipset drivers for your MB may help,,,,,,,,,but who knows what 'I tried a ton of things' means,,,,,,,,,,Welcome to the Forums,,,,,,,,,

Yea

Hey yea sorry, I was at work when I posted that, so I had to make it quick, we arent supposed to use the computer a lot. Anyway I meant PCMCIA card, and yea basically I tried to *** the communications port manually, and messed with a bunch of settings there, and I figured that wouldnt work, but I tried anyway. I tried removing and installing the built in modem adding ont he PCMCIA modem, I formatted the HD and reinstalled windows. So I am thinking it is a mobo issue possibly, since formatting didnt work. Maybe a BIOS flash is worth a shot, otherwise she is gonna chuck it, and its kinda dumb cause the laptop is a yr old.

Good luck with that, yeah a year old heck it might be under warranty :). Hope you get 'er straightened out!

-sharky

Back