• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this how you build a computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fultz

Okay these are the contents I have picked:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Motherboard - $189+$5.00 S&H
▪ NVIDIA SLI Compliant
▪ Max 4GB Ram [4x1GB]
▪ 2 PCIe16 Slots, 3 PCI Slots
▪ 2 PS/2, 1x COM, 1x LTP, 10x USB 2.0, 2x RJ45, 1x 1394, 2xSPDIF out, Audio Ports
▪ 2x ATA 133 with NV Raid 0/1/0+1 [IDE]
▪ 4x SATA2 3.0GB/s with NV Raid 0/1/0+1, 2x SATA2 with Raid 0/1, JOBD [SATA]
▪ Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Channel Onboard Audio
▪ 2x Gigabit Ethernet
▪ 3x 1394 Firewire ports VIA 6306
▪ Form Factor ATX

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Socket 939 64-BIT - $280
▪ 90nm
▪ 2.2GHz
▪ 2000MHz FSB

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - $69.99 + $4.99 S&H
▪ 7.1 Channels
▪ 192kHz Max Sampling Rate
▪ 108dB SNR
▪ 24-Bit Digital Audio
▪ Line-In/Out, Firewire(IEEE1394), Mic-In, MIDI, Analog/Digital CD Audio in

eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card - $429.00+$5.00 S&H
▪ 256mb GDDR3 @ 1000MHz Effective Speed
▪ 350MHz Core
▪ TV-Out, 2x DVI
▪ 400MHz Ramdacs
▪ Max Resolution of 2048x1536@85Hz
▪ Dual Monitor Support
▪ Direct X9.0c, Shadow Model 3.0, OpenGL 2.0

Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM Sata Hard Drive - $135.49+$4.69 S&H
▪ 7200RPM
▪ 8MB Cache
▪ Average Seek Time of 8.5ms

Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU Cooler - $34.99 + $4.99 S&H
▪ Fan Dimensions: 80x80x32mm, Heatsink: 73.6x73.48mm (73 Fins)
▪ 4 Pin Connector
▪ 21 dBA @ 2000RPM, 48 dBA at 5500RPM

Geil Ultra Series Value 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200 Ram w/Blue Heatspreader - $178.50 + $4.33 S&H
▪ DDR400 PC-3200 @400MHz
▪ CAS LATENCY of 3 8-4-4
▪ Support Voltage 2.55V-2.95V
▪ Bandwidth 3.2GB/s

NEC 16x Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black - $59.99 + $3.50 S&H
▪ 2MB Buffer
▪ 48x Read CD-ROM, 16x Read DVD-ROM
▪ 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 16x DVD-R, 6x DVD-RW, 48x CD-R, 24x CD-RW Write

Artic Silver Premium High-Density Thermal Compound - $4.49 + $4.99 S&H
▪ Temp Limits: Peak -150C to 180C Long Term -150C to 125C
▪ 0.007C-in2/Watt Thermal Resistance (0.001" Layer)

Rosewill Value Series Black ATX Mid-Tower Super Case - $25.00 + $12.99 S&H
▪ 350 Watt Power Supply
▪ 4x 5.25" Bays, 2x 3.5" Bays
▪ Steel Casing Black, 18.8" x 7.3" x 16"

NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive - $7.50 + $3.00 S&H
▪ Average Access Time of 3ms
▪ 1.44/0.72MB
▪ 3.5" Double-Side High Density, 3.5" Double Side Density

Encore 56K V.92 Internal PCI Fax Modem (NetoDragon) - $6.20 + $3.50 S&H
▪ V.92 and Earlier ITU Standards
▪ 115200bps Maximum
▪ 14000bps Fax Speed

Rosewill 450 Watt Dual Fan Power Supply - $34.99 + $4.99 S&H
▪ 450 Watts
▪ +3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V@22A, [email protected], -12V@1A, [email protected] Output
▪ Input Voltage 100-120 VRMS or 200-240 VRMS Switch Selectable

The total on these contents is $1536.11

Keep in mind that I will still need to buy a Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Some decent case fans and a monitor.

The first thing I will obviously need to know is if all this stuff is compatible or not and if all of it will be sufficient enough such as the power supply and stuff. I plan on running 2 GeForce Ultra's or GT's in SLI in the future.

I know that I will be needing a few other odd's-in-ends such as the hard drive ribbons and stuff but I didn't figure them in purposely, im thinking major hardware here.

Now im going to tell you what i've gathered on how to build this machine and you guys tell me if im right or wrong or if I've done something wrong.

STEP 1: Open Motherboard, Place on floor.

STEP 2: Open CPU, line the pins on the CPU up with the pattern in the CPU slot on the motherboard, place CPU face down into the CPU Socket (don't force) so that it slides firmly in place, clamp clip down on the CPU Socket.

STEP 3: Open CPU Fan, Apply thin layer of Artic Silver paste to the copper circle on the back.

STEP 4: Apply very thin layer of Artic Silver Paste to the little square on the back of the CPU?

STEP 5: Line the CPU fan up with the clips on the side of the CPU socket, set the CPU fan on top and clip both clips in place, then plug the CPU Fan into the motherboard???? (Clarify on this, im very confused here, is this right?)

STEP 6: Unscrew existing power supply in case, take out the existing power supply. Slide the new power supply in and mount it securely with the screws.

STEP 7: Open Midtower Case, Line the motherboard up with the screw sockets on the inside of the case and screw the motherboard in place.

STEP 8: Connect the motherboard to the power supply with the connector cable.

STEP 9: Connect PN1 and PN2 Connectors. (can somebody please explain this in depth? I have no idea what these are, I actually forgot this step and realized it after I went to double check this post).

STEP 10: Unwrap the ram, Unlock the memory dimm and slide the ram down (it only goes in one way), then lock the dimm back again.

STEP 11: I have no clue how to install a video card into a PCIe slot so could somebody please tell me how? If it works like AGP you unclip the latch, align the card prongs up with the slot, push the card into the slot and clip the latch back, hook the power supply up to the card with the dongle if needed by the card.

STEP 12: Unwrap the Sound Card, Align the prongs up with the PCI slot and slide the card in place.

STEP 13: Open the HDD, Unlatch the drive cage, Slide the HDD into the 5.25" Bay of Choice, Connect the ATA? Ribbon to the back of the HDD, connect the ribbon to the motherboard.

STEP 14 & 15: Same as above for the floppy and dvd+/-rw drives except with different cables?

STEP 16: Slide the 56k Modem into the PCI slot, close the case and start up the PC.

That's it for the hardware, isn't it?

(my hands hurt) :-/

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks for your time!!! :clap:

Looks like you have a very good idea about how to build a computer. The building is basically all Legos, but its the configuration that causes many headaches. The PCI-E vid card should be pretty straight forward, plop her in the slot. Good luck with your build! Take it slow and double check everything for optimal results.

I presumed that it was a wooden floor. Carpeting would not be the best place to place these high quality components. Sorry I didnt catch this earlier. Nice snag there Kendan!

Sweet, one more question, if I blow up my house while compililng this PC and the processor goes up with it will AMD give me a no hassle refund?

Thanks for the answers guys!

Hmm.. I'll have to check the warranty for the blowing up the house clause. Probably refund won't be through AMD but the retailer you purchased from. Such policies vary from retailer to retailer and it may be through AMD, from what I hear they are a very reputable company.

you might want to get a different cooler, thermaltake aren't exactly the best on the market.
i'd say your best bet would be an thermalright xp-90 or xp-120 if it's compatible with your motherboard. you'll still need a fan, but which one you get depends on how much noise you can handle

Well I don't need the best, I just want something that's going to keep my processor cool that doesn't sound like a washing machine, what exactly is wrong with the thermaltake? :(

fultz said:
what exactly is wrong with the thermaltake? :(

theres nothing really wrong with themaltake, it's just that there isn't anything right with them either, they ripoff designs from other companies, and to add insult to injury the copies they make are inferior.

thermalright gives you a fair amount of choice fanwise. however if your looking for something quieter then i would reccomend a zalman 7000(92mm fan) or 7700(120mm fan) if it fits your board.

fyi larger fans push more air for the same amount of noise

I take it all you guys up on PSU's, are familiar with the Rosewill? And that 450watt PSU can handle all those hard drives and vid card?

Redstone said:
I take it all you guys up on PSU's, are familiar with the Rosewill? And that 450watt PSU can handle all those hard drives and vid card?

Is that suppose to mean that it can't? I really need to know. :(

Thanks for the links IFMU! :D

fultz said:
Is that suppose to mean that it can't? I really need to know. :(

Thanks for the links IFMU! :D
I am not familiar with Rosewill so I was wondering if anyone that was, knew if it was stable and powerful enough to handle your system. A crappy PSU is crappy no matter what the wattage rating.
Again I know nothing of Rosewill so it may be a great PSU.

the psu can handle what your putting in to the comp oh and your hdds will be coming with the cables and cds to format and other cool stuff and your drives and cdroms will be coming with ribbon cables unless other wise noted by the seller lol oh and the mobo will also come with cables most likely for your sata drive and or the reg ide drives also mine came with both sata and ide lol

STEP 7: Open Midtower Case, Line the motherboard up with the screw sockets on the inside of the case and screw the motherboard in place.

To clarify this step a bit......

There will be brass standoffs, screw these into the corresponding holes in the motherboard tray. Then place motherboard on standoffs and screw the motherboard into the standoffs. Just screwing the motherboard down to the case would be a horrible disaster and might cost you alot of money.........basically shorting out the whole works.

It sounds like it has all been covered pretty well. I'll second Kendan's opinion, you really should carefully read all manuals before any assembly.

Watch for static (don't shuffle across the carpets!), and avoid touching the mobo and other boards anywhere but their edges, where possible.

Good luck!

Back