• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dually FX's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
i know it would be horribly expensive, but I am looking at saving up for, and getting a dually Athlon FX based system. Does anyone here have a similar system? I'd like to know what to expect in Overclockability, hardware compatibility, etc.

Me=Total n00b at SMP.

I don't think FX's are SMP-capable. You'd want Opteron 2xx series CPU's. Might want to save up and wait awhile. A new opteron (E) core revision just came out with some improvements and SSE3, and dual core cpu's aren't too far off....

The first gen Opteron Dual cores will drop into current Opteron boards with a BIOS flash, so that gives you a decent upgrade path.

Overclocking on the Opteron is limited ATM. The only BIOS level one I am aware of is the Iwill DK8N, and after that its using nTune in Windows with any NF3 or NF4 based board. If you want more info, check out the "Cases, Power, and Modifcations" forum at forums.2cpu.com, and look specificly for "P4Northwood's Extreme Tyan s2895 SLI Thread" and check out "2749mhz... Highest clocked Opterons ever?"

ok.. So look at opterons? should i wait until dual cores? (have '4' cpus in one box?)

also, would it be a good idea to dual psu also? (one for cpu's, mainboard, optical drives, the other for hard drives and video card?)

and one last thing, do i HAVE to get registered(ECC) RAM? or have they fixed thier procs till they no longer need it?

any suggestions, though? I know it'll be expensive, but, any suggestions as to RAM, MOBO, hard drives (i want at least 4 harddrives, and 2 optical drives).

TollhouseFrank said:
any suggestions, though? I know it'll be expensive, but, any suggestions as to RAM, MOBO, hard drives (i want at least 4 harddrives, and 2 optical drives).
Well if you are that gungho I know that Abit makes an Nforce4 Professional that supports non-registered/buffered RAM <ie regular desktop RAM> Plus it has SLI. Why not take a look atthat ;D

hmm... i might do that. I wanna make one heck of a machine (probably will be a linux box, LOL), and i want it to Fold like there is no tomorrow.

TollhouseFrank said:
hmm... i might do that. I wanna make one heck of a machine (probably will be a linux box, LOL), and i want it to Fold like there is no tomorrow.
To be perfectally honest I thougth about the same thing and decided it wasnt worth it.

If you want a dually box wait for either Toledo or Intel's new dual-cores. SMPs are just too rich for my blood sadly :(

Back