• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else in any computer type competitions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dippy_skoodlez

Just went to the VICA regionals for computer maintenence. They gave us 3 hours to take the test, and I was done in less than 10 minutes..

I'm dissapointed.. I thought it would be a little harder, at regionals? Bah... :eh?:

Ohwell..

I got first place, a medal, I think i get to go to eitehr districts or state.. one of the two, and a $500 scholarship to that college :D

In a city near here, they do a computer building derby every year. Teams of two get together and see which team can put together a comp fastest. It has to be up and running properly and ready for the OS to be installed. Alot of people lose on putting in ide connectors backwards because of rush and stuff like that. It still goes down pretty quick... lead most recently was around 10 minutes I think.

I and 2 other people did the TSA Computer Systems Troubleshooting competition, before the company hosting it dropped us :-\ Took first in state twice, and second in nationals once. Wanted to do it again, I have learned so much that I was sure I could take first in nationals this time.

I did two computer competitions. One at UCDavis, the other at Fresno State. Came in third both times. Not bad considering I didnt know half then as I know now. :p

threeme2189 said:
iv built about 2 rigs and helped build my friends but i learn pretty fast.
what kind of questions were in the test?

This test was actually easy as heck..

"What os supports ACPI?"
"What component contains all the wiring and components needed for each component to interact?"
"what is another name for system board?"

:bang head

So easy it hurts.

lol, im going to my first coding competion soon, but i bet im gonna get killed, i am a freshman so ill need so practice
Edit:
heh triple post, lol what a noob mistake, sorry for inconvience

Last edited:
WTF!!!

i was in vica. i didn't know they had a computer competition!

i was in electronics. i went to regionals too. But i came in last. because i was slower at building my circuit, but mine was the neatest...everyone else's was all extremly sloppy, and messy.

we had new judges that year. so they basicly based it on tiem alone. I was cutting my wires to the exact lenght, having them lay down on the breadboard. you could trace any wire from and to any Pin without messing up.

everyone else, just used the entire wire, and had the wires in a " U " shape. comming up from the board. was a huge mess, and took the judges like 15 min. on each person to make sure everything was wired up correctly....

but dude, i want vica computer competitions!!!! not fair.

and i don't know of any others...if i did, i would have joined.

Back