• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The things you find when cleaning out a PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

A little over a year ago, I bought a great computer from one of the members here (I forget who it was, sorry). Like most computers, it collects dust inside and I've cleaned it out many times. Today was a bit different, as I decided to remove the fan (TT Volcano 7) and give the heatsink fins a good blowing out and cleaning.

So I'm blowing it out, blowing it out, a little more.. yep, got the dust bunny.. that one too.. ok.. time for the bursh to get some of the 'caked on' stuff. So I brush, and brush and brush... scrub it a bit, scrub a little more.. oh.. whats this... looks like a loose fin.. hmm.. no.. its white, not copper.. and it slides back and forth.. lets see.. oh.. this is interesting...

1rqk3l

A case badge..

I'm guessing he didn't know it was in there.. I certainly didn't..

Its amazing what you find when you clean things.. :)

Last edited:
mmmm.. dead cockroach.. yummy

BTW.. I figured out who I got that PC off of.. it was deerhunter.

Thanks for the great system too.. :)

Last edited:
my freind found some lovelly cat pee in his comp one day... don't know how the cat did it but it managed to short the motherboard,ram, processor, psu and made the case and HDD too stinky to keep... if you have cats i reccomend you keep your side pannels on :D

The cat was perrmanatelly put outside :D

You ca tell if someone smokes inside by cleaning out thier PC...
heavy smokers have nasty PC's, sticky yellowish brown dust caked into everything
yuck

Found a dead mouse once, still not sure how it got in.

Went to visit my mother one day, and she was talking about how their office smelled funny, like something had died in it. She couldn't seem to find anything though, and I wasn't going to volunteer.

The next week she asked me to look inside the computer, as she was sure something had died in there. I put her off for another week and finally ended up going over there so she would stop complaining.

Sure enough, a mouse had squeezed into her computer (probably was being chased by her cats, who bring all manner of wildlife into the house) and died there. There sure wasn't any doubt about where the smell was coming from after that.

And yeah, heavy smokers are the worst. Worst one I ever saw was one that started out light beige and ended up a dark, crusty orange/brown color. Stank to high heaven. The owner of the computer was a guy with a big bushy white mustache, except for the part where he always had his cigarette, which had been stained a dark yellow :eek:

Worst one I ever saw was one that started out light beige and ended up a dark, crusty orange/brown color.

I had a case like that once. The guy had a scanner sitting on top of his case, the entire case was dark yellow/light brown, and almost oily. He gave it to me when he got a new e-Machine. :shrug: The top, where the scanner sat, looked brand new. You could see where he almost literly peeled the scanner off as the top edges had a 'lip' of dust/smokers tar/icky stuff.

The door on the floppy would not open easily. It was stuck.

none of the fans worked, cpu, case, and psu fans wer all frozen in place. It was an old AMD K6/2 350mhz, 150w powersupply, 2 gig hd. I tossed it all.. there was dust and crap so thick on the mother board, that I could scrape it off.. not blow it off.. SCRAPE it off.

He smoked, camel non filters, cigars, and a pipe.. He was a regular smoke stack..

Lee

welll... a few weeks ago, i was doing a case cleanup... and i guess i left my T-6 screwdriver in there (i use that to remove my P4 NW stock heatsink).... so then, i open my case, just a little inspection, and then i see my Torx layin there...

Back