• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!, My Dually Died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godofgorks

Well for the past several days i've been fine tuning the settings trying to get it stable and had no success with it at 200 fsb. I changed the jumpers for the 166-200 setting and fired it up. Took a LONG time till it beeped and it still came up 200+ setting like I never changed the jumpers. Checked jumpers and they are 100% correct. Then I switched it to auto detect jumpers and still something wasn't right and they are 100% right.

It will beep after a LONG time and then i go into bios first try after i get a fatal boot error. I set to defaults and try to reboot and it locks up, never beeps, NOTHING.

I cleared the bios with the jumper like the book said and it still malfunctioning.

I did EVERTHING i could think of, which lets me wondering....

Does this sound like the mobo is bad?

Sounds like you might have gotten a corrupted bios, happened to me on my PC-DL under just about the same conditions. I ended up buying another bios chip but, if you have the disk that came with your motherboard you should be able to run the bios savior program of it. What I was told was that you just put the cd in and boot up with the jumpers in the stock position, you should get something on the screen about the corrupted bios and then just follow the instructions.

try setting the jumper to 133mhz....

then if you can, go into the bios and increase the VDIMM to 2.8v, change the multiplier to 15x or less (i am assuming you have pin modded the sockets for 1.6v by connecting b2, c2 and d2 to b3, c3, and d3 respectively)....then save the settings, reboot...

then change the jumper to 166 or 200...

if that doesn't work, then try one cpu at a time in socket 1, with only 1 stick of ram, a video card and nothing else...

i flashed the bios to 1003 and i still get the sytemboot fail. Right now it is set on autodetect and should be 100 but if coming up 166. Going to try some other jumper settings and other things you mentions dustybyrd.

Right now the problem is that i can't reboot. When i click save and quit from bios it unloads but never starts to post again. I have to hit the reset button. And also when i do get it to post it takes a good 10-15 seconds for the post beep and then the start of post to occur.

EDIT- After playing with jumpers I came to a realization about my stupid error. I had jumpers set vertical when they are supposed to be horizantal. The diagram in the manual doesn't distinguish one from the other just that it lookes like a square. One stupid oversight and onebottle of asprin for the night. At least i now the the newest bios on it and will remember which way the jumpers go from now on. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Well after playing with the jumpers some more I have an interesting circumstance.

When I change the jumpers and start it up the first time it takes a decent amount of time till it beeps and posts. This is usually a good 10 seconds and happens on the first boot of that setting and doesn't happen on reboots or starts after that time. This seems understandable since its probably configuring something and realizing it has been changed and it only happens when something is changed.

I got it to auto-detect 100, force 100, force 133, and force 200. However, I could not get it to post with 166, left it sit to boot for a few minutes. I would like to have 166 setting since I want to try some testing in the 180-200 range. Anyone else having problems when setting it to 166? And 166 is having no jumpers at all correct?

It's odd to me how it'll run the 200 setting and not the 166.

godofgorks said:
I got it to auto-detect 100, force 100, force 133, and force 200. However, I could not get it to post with 166, left it sit to boot for a few minutes. I would like to have 166 setting since I want to try some testing in the 180-200 range. Anyone else having problems when setting it to 166? And 166 is having no jumpers at all correct?

It's odd to me how it'll run the 200 setting and not the 166.

i believe the 166mhz fsb is not officially supported, and definitely not 166-200mhz (since they are not even available to use in the bios)....

i don't remember if i even ever used the 166mhz jumper at all...

but, when i got my first xeons (2.4ghz 100mhz fsb chips), i did set the jumper to 133mhz and then after lowering the multiplier, i set the fsb to 165....and that booted into windows fine...

then, to get between 165 and 200mhz fsb, i would change the fsb speed within windows using clockgen....

the reason i used the 133 jumper instead of the 166 is because of what i had read over at 2cpu about using the 166 jumper...namely, i read that if you use the 166mhz jumper and then increase the fsb within windows with clockgen, there would be no pci lock...i have never confirmed this, but i also figured why test it?

just use the 133 jumper, set the fsb to 165, and if needed, increase the fsb with clockgen in windows...

dustybyrd said:
just use the 133 jumper, set the fsb to 165, and if needed, increase the fsb with clockgen in windows...

this is what I have been doing and it has worked beautifully.

Thanks a ton guys, that really had be puzzled for awhile. Now it makes a lot more sense being not officially supported. Seems like i'll have to run in the 166-200 range due to the chips limits and now I know how I can.

Thanks again.

godofgorks said:
Seems like i'll have to run in the 166-200 range due to the chips limits and now I know how I can.

Thanks again.

are you saying your d1 1.6ghz xeons can't run at 3ghz+ stable?

have you pin modded the sockets for 1.6v?

also, even if they can't do 3ghz stable, you should still be able to get 200+ mhz to work, by lowering the multiplier to 14 or less...as long as memory is not holding you back...which, if you're using pqi tccd chips, then you shouldn't have a problem...unless you are not giving them enough voltage...2.7v+

Running the memory at 2-2-2-5 with 2.8v and i get errors in prime 95 withen 15 minutes with 15x multi. Loosend the timings up to 2.5-3-2-6 and still errors. Both chips are running at 1.6v. Trying to figure out if its the memory or the cpus right now. So just working with different settings, this was covered in another thread. I was playing games and running it at 2-2-2-5 and 3.2 but i can't run prime 95. :(

godofgorks said:
Running the memory at 2-2-2-5 with 2.8v and i get errors in prime 95 withen 15 minutes with 15x multi. Loosend the timings up to 2.5-3-2-6 and still errors. Both chips are running at 1.6v. Trying to figure out if its the memory or the cpus right now. So just working with different settings, this was covered in another thread. I was playing games and running it at 2-2-2-5 and 3.2 but i can't run prime 95. :(

try 13x multi (or is 12x the lowest setting?), 200mhz fsb, 2,2,2,6 timings (or different timings, but several ncch-dl users, including myself, are stable with 2,2,2,6 timings on the ncch-dl) with 2.8v....

then, keep uping the fsb until it's not stable

ie, try to eliminate the possibility that the cpus are unstable...as at 2.6ghz, they should be fine...

... Aside:
dustybyrd said:
are you saying your d1 1.6ghz xeons can't run at 3ghz+ stable?

have you pin modded the sockets for 1.6v?

also, even if they can't do 3ghz stable, you should still be able to get 200+ mhz to work, by lowering the multiplier to 14 or less...as long as memory is not holding you back...which, if you're using pqi tccd chips, then you shouldn't have a problem...unless you are not giving them enough voltage...2.7v+

How do you know if your PQI memory has tccd chips?
/Aside

Just so this post has something relevant, his previous post is Here

Last I heard the PQI 2-2-2-5 rating modules had TCCD, or did they switch? I'll be sad if I spent 240 on non TCCD chip modules. Running 2-2-2-5 with 2.8v and 200x12 now. Does the chipset voltage mean anything, I bumped it to 1.8 just incase.

EDIT- SLOW 56K :bang head

That's the exact kit I bought, and even from newegg since the egg rocks.

godofgorks said:
Last I heard the PQI 2-2-2-5 rating modules had TCCD, or did they switch? I'll be sad if I spent 240 on non TCCD chip modules. Running 2-2-2-5 with 2.8v and 200x12 now. Does the chipset voltage mean anything, I bumped it to 1.8 just incase.

you should set the chipset voltage back down to 2.6v, or at most 2.7v...2.8v could actually be too high without adequate cooling...

and these ncch-dl boards are supposed to run 200mhz fsb with 2.6v or less

So technically I could be overvolting the chipset? I think your meaning 1.6 or 1.7? Well I'll set the voltages up like you said then run 4x Prime and see what happens. Also since since you mentioned that a lot of people have luck with 2-2-2-6 i'll set up the timings like so.

EDIT - Just thought, how does dual vs. single channel affect it. Running dual now, should I go single?

godofgorks said:
So technically I could be overvolting the chipset? I think your meaning 1.6 or 1.7? Well I'll set the voltages up like you said then run 4x Prime and see what happens. Also since since you mentioned that a lot of people have luck with 2-2-2-6 i'll set up the timings like so.

EDIT - Just thought, how does dual vs. single channel affect it. Running dual now, should I go single?

overvolting the chipset? maybe, maybe not, but certainly you don't need that much voltage, and you are probably overheating the chipset, without active cooling....

if you can't get that ram stable with tight timings, 2.8v and 200+mhz fsb, then definitely try one stick at a time, since you could have a bad stick

Back