• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Arrange Icons By" questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I never really thought about this until it started to bug the crap out of me, but how does windows manage each seperate folders "Arrange Icons By"? I thought that by default all folders were arranged by name, but my system is acting weird. The first thing I ususally do when I install windows is go to a folder and set the view to Details, and and make sure it is arranged by type. I then go to tools, and set all folders like that one. I am pretty sure that the apply to all folders option is only for view, but on my last install every folder was arranged by type and I loved it. But now everything is different, all my folders are arranged by Date modified. I change them to arrange by type, but they keep changing back. I'm not sure what to do now, so I turned to OCforums. Don't let me down now ;)

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK. Expand the ShellNoRoam Key in order to expose the subkeys...under the following Registry branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | ShellNoRoam | BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | ShellNoRoam | Bags

...and delete the BagMRU and Bags subkeys (in the LH pane). Make sure to back up/export the two Keys before deleting them, then reboot. Deleting the two subkeys resets all your folder settings to their defaults. If the above doesn't work for you...copy the following into Notepad, and save it with a .reg extension:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows remembers 400 folder settings, and when that number is reached some settings aren't retained any longer...the above Registry edit increases that number to 8000. After saving the above with a .reg extension, double-click the Registry file in order to merge it into the Registry...and make sure to reboot after making the above changes.

Edit: There shouldn't be any spaces in ShellNoRoam or CurrentVersion. The formatting on the forum incorrectly puts spaces in those two Registry entries, so make sure to edit them in Notepad before merging the .reg file.

Thanks, I'll try that out. I had already used tweakui to change the number of folders remembered to 2000, but upped it to 8000 after reading your post. I haven't yet deleted the reg entries yet though, I'll post back to let ya know how it goes. Thanks again. :)

I tried deleting those keys, but windows still organizes everything by date modified, I even increased the folders to be remembered to 10,000. What else could be the cause? :shrug:

Yeah, but it still organizes them by date modified. Everything imported fine, but whenever I open up a window it still shows the little arrow at the top of the Date Modified column. :(

So no other suggestions huh? :( I guess I'll just have to format (sigh) I hate doing that, but at least it will give me a chance to try out my new nlite windows disk :D

Back