• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Age Old computer freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grand_Mufti

My computer freezes. I just got a new NF7-S2 Motherboard and downloaded the latest drivers for everything but it still freezes and very frequently. Is there any way to find out what is causing the freeze? I've tried everything, looked everywhere I know. HELP!

Everything is tuned down to stock but it still freezes. I have updated everything. I have also reformatted 3 times to no avail. Here is a look at my CPU temps. Also here are some of my memory timings...

CPU_temps_1.JPG

CPU_temps_2.JPG

In my experience, random lockups are usually caused by a hardware failure. Usually memory, possibly motherboard or even the CPU itself.

First, run your BIOS settings at Fail-Safe.

Download a copy of memtest86, throw it on a floppy, and run it through a few times and see if your memory passes. If you get a failure and have two sticks of RAM, remove one and run the test again, then switch sticks and test that one so you can narrow down your problem.

yea, i went ahead and put memtest on a cd earlier and tested it all night. No Lockups. I also tested the HD with the western digital testing software and it passed all tests. The processor should be fine... the temps are in the normal range... however i will be switching it back to the old crappy emachines motherboard later tonight so i can exchange the ABIT i have. So, i will be reseating the processor so well see what happens. Thanks.

Back