• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woot!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jnev_89

i'm posting this message from my brand-new comp!!! i just built it today and installed windows. i'll post pics and benchmarks tomorrow.

i have a couple questions.

1. how long should i wait until i can begin ocing the cpu?

2. do i need to "burn-in" the cpu or the video card?

3. my cpy temps are at 42 c after maybe 45min of just installing various drivers and programs. i have a 2.8ghz prescott and a huge 120mm zalman heatsink. are these temps normal? i'm getting them from my uguru clock that came with the mobo.

anyone?

btw, i played farcry for maybe 30min (everything ran good) and my cpu temps went up to 54 c. am i being to anal about them?

thanks

Congrats.
Mine goes to 58 after several hours of Far Cry. So you are fine with those temps.
I'd say do some benchmarking at stock first before you overclock. That will give you ample burn-in time.

i haven't been there yet, highest i've seen is 56 for a couple seconds, it went down immediatly afterwards though. i love this thing already :D

i've been playing facry a bit, and i think something's wrong. with a 6600gt, i get very stuttery performance when playing multiplayer (my ping is about 250, is that the problem??). the settings are 800x600x32, everything on high.

is this normal? i got 7900 in 3dmark03...
and nothing is oced (yet)

250ms ping sucks bad... Don't pay any attention to how a game plays online, if it plays fine offline with the same settings you know it's your connection.

250ms ping is horrible... That's probably why. I get 100ms ping on kaillera with random disconnects.

Nice system, mind telling me what were you on before? I wanna see how big of an upgrade this is for you. I know when I get my PC it's going to be a gigantic upgrade... If you came from a crappy pc you can really feel the upgrade power. :p

Nice system.

thanks for the help. is there any way to get a faster ping? i'm running roadrunner cable through a network router...

my previous system was a 2.5yr old dell dimesntion 8200. 2.4ghz, ti4200, 512 ram. crappy.

That all depends, do something for me, go to the command prompt in xp and type the following and post the results here...

When posting the results, just type the site name and the minimum, average and maximum ping results, (don't have any downloads or uploads running while doing these tests) do each test two times and post both sets of results so if i told you to ping google you would put

SITE: www.google.com
Min: 32ms, Max: 32ms Average: 32ms

Substitute 32ms for your ping results, type the sites exactly as i have typed them.

ping www.google.com
ping www.yahoo.com
ping www.gamespot.com

Those settings seem kind of low for farcry with that system. I say Bump it up to the next level :attn: That is why you bought all those new parts right? :bday: Eh, if it's a wireless router that might be your problem but any thing else it might be the servers. Good luck and nice PC you will enjoy it :thup:

PEACE

Your old system is 200MHz Faster than my current system, your system was a p4 mine is a celeron, i have a 128kb cache, my ram is @ 133mhz, i have 37.2gb hdd and onboard 64mb (8mb shared) intel graphics controller, onboard AC-97 sound, 248mb pc-2700 ram your old system has twice as much ram as my current system and then some. :)

google: min: 19ms max: 46ms avrg: 27ms
yahoo: min: 20ms max: 24ms avrg: 21ms
gamespot: min: 22ms max: 57ms avrge: 32ms

it's not a wireless router, everything here is wired. by bumping it to the next level, do you meaning ocing? :D

also, i've been folding for the past few hours, and my temps are stable at 56 c. i'm scared to oc at these temps. am i being anal again? (don't get mad, i'm a noob)

Your pings are all great, better than mine infact. I think it's the server you were playing on that lagged.

56c is kind of high to be overclocking, I would not overclock unless you get some better temps or better cooling there.

No by the next level I mean "setting" wise. I played it atleast on 1074x768. You could maybe max everything out. So try it and you will loveeeee it :cool:
And yes those temps are getting kind of high. Yes you do have a pressy but you gotta lower those temps before thinking about OCing. What kind of cooling do you have again.....I don't feel like scrolling up :p

PEACE

my case has 6 fans in it and i have a huge 120mm zalman heatsink... i would think that's good enough. right now after folding the whole night temps are at 54 c.

thanks

is there any other good way to measure cpu temps? just in case the uguru clock that came with my mobo is inaccurate...

Back