• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explorer crashing when browsing videos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

Just today, windows explorer has started to crash when I play or browse certain folders of video. I think it's folders which contain DivX or XviD files. If I have it set to preview the files then it crashes as soon as I open the folder, if I don't then it crashes when I open the file.

The videos play just fine, it's just that explorer crashes. I can also open them without problems by opening media player then selecting 'open' and browsing to the file.

The only thing which has changed is I installed DivX 5.2 pro a few days ago, but since then it's been working - only since I got up today has it stopped.

I've run codecsniper and it says all of my codecs are okay.

I'm on XP Pro SP1
Display drivers are 67.66

Anyone know what's wrong?

Divx v5.2 causes just this type of problem with SP2, and AFAIK...also with SP1. Try uninstalling Divx 5.2, and revert to an older version like v5.1. You could also try uninstalling Divx, turn off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) then reinstall Divx. For extra security, turn DEP back on and add into the exceptions list anything that uses Divx (ie media players, Divx itself).

I've got 5.2 because I was told I'd need it in order to rip my DVDs using DVD Decrypter, I don't suppose you know if it would still work with 5.1? They specified 5.2 you see...

As for turning off DEP I don't have a clue about that so I'll have to rule it out :p

Thanks for the response.

As for turning off DEP I don't have a clue about that so I'll have to rule it out
My mistake...I was thinking about SP2 (in which DEP is installed) while posting. Since you're running SP1, just disregard that part of my reply...since DEP isn't included.
I don't suppose you know if it would still work with 5.1? They specified 5.2 you see...
I don't know for a fact whether it will work or not, but I think I'd still try v5.1...after uninstalling v5.2

I don't think you need divx at all to rip dvd's with decrypyter. Whether you are ripping iso's or .vob's, you don't need it. Compressing the movies into divx is a diffrent story though.

I used to pretty good at it, till I bought a dvd burner.. eh..

Dayton

Yeah sorry I don't know much about ripping, of course it's to encode :p I use AutoGK.

Anyhow, I uninstalled 5.2 and installed 5.1 and it's sorted. Thanks folks :D

Back