• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before I overclock... (2.4C)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobendren

sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

ok i've read up a lot about overclocking and in particular my 2.4C chip, but before i go ahead (and do something stupid) i've got a few (i.e a lot of ) questions to ask (even if they are stupid).

So if someone could please give me some advice about the following:

ok firstly these are my specs:
P4 2.4GHz(C)
GA-8IG1000 Pro-G (865G) mobo
1 x 512MB DDR400 Trancend RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro

1) the rams probably going to be a problem, i thought of: 2 x 512 ddr500, KingMax (Corsair and other more expensive makes are exactly that; too expensive).

2) should i use Easy-Tune 5 or just go through the BIOS. How does Easy- Tune work, does it adjust the BIOS settings for you or do the settings only take affect once you enter windows?

3) my giga-byte mobo doesn't allow one to change the RAM timings, not even CAS. Should i update my BIOS (how do i find out what version it is, to see if should bother updating it in the first place?) or is there a program that can adjust the timings from windows?

4) i'm going to try and overclock it to 3.0GHz (FSB 250), this shouldn't be a problem as most oc websites i have seen have oced the same chip to 3.3GHz with stock cooling and without increasing the vcore. (i'm getting a zalman 7000B AlCu, so hopefully temps won't be a problem)

5) i'm going to keep the chip/mem in a 1:1 ratio, will i need to increase the vcore if i'm running the ram at ddr500, even if the ram modules are specified at ddr500?

6) the cooling on the north-bridge is passive, (i've noticed even newer giga-byte mobo's have passive cooling, presumably to promote a quieter system) will i have to by a new HSF for the north-bridge? at the moment there's a lot of air passing through the nb heatsink from the cpu fan, so i thought of just upgrading the heatsink to a zalman passive nb cooler.

7) Would someone please explain or point out a link about TCCD memory, i know little about this.

8) I have a AOpen 300watt PSU, is this going to be enough?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out here.

First .Welcome to the forums.
Wow, lots to talk about. But no stupid questions here. I can tackle a few of them in reverse order.
8. 300 watts will probably not be enough.
7. TCCD are chips from Samsung that can take a high voltage. They seem to be the chips of choice these days. Very expensive which is something you said you were adverse to.
6. The zalman 7000 is big enough to also cool the NB somewhat. I would not worry too much about it.
5. You RAM is DDR400 not DDR500. You will be runniing it at DDR500 if your fsb is 250 but I doubt the Transend RAM is rated PC4000 since you said PC3200 earlier. You should raise the Vcore only if you need it for stability. Northwoods run fine at 1.6 volts which is .075 v over stock. I think you meant VDimm. Again, raise it if you need it for stability. I run at 2.8 volts (the highest my board will go)
4. no question here. go for it.
3. Run CPU-z and check the mainboard tab for BIOS date. Then check the manufacturers website for the latest revision. You might need to change RAM timings on high overclocks. I like to have the latest BIOS but it may not be needed.
2. I like to use the BIOS for an intermediate overclock then use clockgen in windows to fine tune upwards. That way if you freeze up you will not fail on reboot and have to reset the BIOS.
1. With pentium systems it pays to have 2x256 or 2x512 RAM modules so you can run in dual channel rather than one stick. Get another identical stick of 512MB.

Hope that helps some.

Back