• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this look? will i run into any problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

Hi, i need to build a system for my gf, no oc-ing involved. I want to keep the price down, but at the same time build her a reasonably decent system. I have only used AMD CPUs but as you will see the proposed rig i have for her will use Intel. Can anyone see any problems with what i have picked, complicatins, conflictions etc.

Intel Celeron® D320 2.4GHz Skt478 FSB533 256KB Cache Retail Boxed CPU

Asustek P4S800-MX S478 SIS 661FX MATX VGA Sound LAN USB 2.0 FSB800 Retail Box

Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module

Western Digital Caviar 120Gb 7200rpm Hard Drive - OEM

Deluxworld M9512 4-1 Pack - Case Keyboard Mouse Speakers

grand total (inc VAT+P&P) = £224.83

So, what do you think??

Cheers D/L :beer:

should be a fine system for internet/email/music.
You gave it a decent amount of ram so it should last a while too.

maybe look into using an LGA775 socket so that in the future, you can drop a new chip down if desired.

P5S800-VM will do fine. Still uses DDR.
you can also find LGA775 Celerons as well.

Just a thought.

Im assuming since you don't have a mainstream video card or sound card, among other factors, that the machine will not be used for multimedia editing or gaming, if you are using the system for anything other than gaming and multimedia editing then it will perform excellent.

nova7 said:
If you love your girlfriend, dont get her a celeron... lol :-/:thup:

haha, lol!

No, i decided on intel mainly due to the fact she will be using the rig for programming and data analysis (shes a MSci Physicist you see ) - no gaming or movie editing. The intels general perform better for this application so they suit her needs better.

Know Nuttin said:
maybe look into using an LGA775 socket so that in the future, you can drop a new chip down if desired.

P5S800-VM will do fine. Still uses DDR.
you can also find LGA775 Celerons as well.

Just a thought.

I will look into this 2moro - just got back from a mates house and had too many "cocktails" :beer: . I will have to look at the overall cost, this rig will have to last her 3-4years and for what she needs, the additional cost of future-proofing is probably not worth it (£££). But like i said, i'll look into it.

Have a gd nite all :)

Back