• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change Mp3 bit rate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

What do u guys use to convert mp3s from a large bit rate to a smaller bit rate? (im doing this to make some really big 320kbit files smaller)

i got a question --- its kind of off topic a little, but does making the file smaller make it sound better or no? cause i do notice that some mp3 files sound better then others and i dont know why

ok ... cause i use itunes right now - just got it so im still playing around with it - i was just wondering if size had anything to do with quality at all

size is tied directly to quality, its the balance we all have to make. that is once you decide on a format. AAC is known to be smaller and higher quality for the same bit rate as an mp3. i decided 128 AAC is good enough for me. many people swear by 320 mp3 and their 300GB hard drives...

but most of us dont got some 300gb hds so yeah ... thats out of the option lol
i will have to experiment with both and see which one i like most

yes, i despise itunes, i refuse to use it until i get an ipod, and even then i will not enjoy using it, please another thing thx everyone

<off topic> and yeah, the higher the bit rate the higher the quality, and for anyone wanting to rip a music cd, EAC is the best, slow but best, that w/ the latest LAME encoder</off topic>

Last edited:
ViperGTR said:
i got a question --- its kind of off topic a little, but does making the file smaller make it sound better or no? cause i do notice that some mp3 files sound better then others and i dont know why

If you change a encoded mp3 file from one bitrate to another, whether its larger or smaller, it makes it worse...it's a fact.

Read and learn.....
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php

Razor Lame is the best mp3 tool out there. I love it. Every time you encode an mp3, that quality does get worse. Also, if you re-encode a 320kbps sound to 128kbps, and then back to 320kbps, it will only have the quality of 128kbps.. the quality of an mp3 is only as good as the slowest encoded version of it.

apu318 said:
Razor Lame is the best mp3 tool out there. I love it. Every time you encode an mp3, that quality does get worse. Also, if you re-encode a 320kbps sound to 128kbps, and then back to 320kbps, it will only have the quality of 128kbps.. the quality of an mp3 is only as good as the slowest encoded version of it.

Thats correct...the quality of an mp3 is only as good as the source it was encoded in.

since i am a neat freak when it comes to my music, i decided i want ALL mu music in AAC. from my own CD's and from other music that i get. through some testing i've done (mainly with my own ears), i've found that with 192 mp3, i can convert to 128 AAC and not suffer much quality degredation. this is entirely my opinion, though...as i bet my ears aren't as sensitive as others. so, to respond to the first question, i think 320 mp3 is defintely high enough quality to re-encode to a lower quality. but, like the others said, you will lose "some" quality. just another $0.02 from me...

ok guys, whats the best way to convert an mp3 to another mp3 of lower quality? thru razor lame, i just make a .wav then back into a lower quality mp3

is that the only way or is there something else?

Like I said just download musicmatch free and use its converting feature found in the File/convert files tab at the top.

You can do whole albums at a time, you can jsut copy over what you have or you can select a new destination folder for the converted music..

convert.JPG

Back