• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM For NCCH-DL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speciestraitor

Registered
I am going the Xeon LV route (have the board, Xeons and IWTs so far) and am still a little lost with what RAM to get for the NCCH-DL.

I have read the sticky over and over and can't tell if I will need to do a VDIMM mod on the NCCH-DL to use memory at 2.8v.

I've been looking into the dual channel Ballistix crucial ram - but they are 2.8v and it would be a waste to bother with them, right?

I do not want to do a Vdimm mod at all to the board, but then why is there a VDIMM comtroller onboard - and that being a plus for the board.

I should go for dual channel memory also, right?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

speciestraitor said:
I am going the Xeon LV route (have the board, Xeons and IWTs so far) and am still a little lost with what RAM to get for the NCCH-DL.

I have read the sticky over and over and can't tell if I will need to do a VDIMM mod on the NCCH-DL to use memory at 2.8v.

I've been looking into the dual channel Ballistix crucial ram - but they are 2.8v and it would be a waste to bother with them, right?

I do not want to do a Vdimm mod at all to the board, but then why is there a VDIMM comtroller onboard - and that being a plus for the board.

I should go for dual channel memory also, right?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

maybe i should clear that up in the sticky...i can see where it could get confusing...

you should go for dual channel...

you don't have to do a VDIMM mod on the ncch-dl for 2.8v (although you will likely get slightly less than that in the bios)...

any TCCD chip containing ram is very good in this board...there is a list in the sticky...i believe there is some ballistix that are also tccd...i'll check into that

*edit* i can't find any evidence that the crucial ballistix has tccd chips...

but, it does appear to do tight cas 2,2,2, settings at pc3200 speeds...

Last edited:
speciestraitor said:
this is the ram that got me interested:

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/partspecs.asp?IMODULE=BL6464Z402

There is a 4% discount w/coupon (~$10 USD) is what drove my interest- and well my past experience with crucial has been very good.

It doesn't have TCCD - so I'm going to look into your other suggestions...that for the price beat the crucial memory.

the only thing that would make me nervous about that memory is the core voltage rating...2.8v...if that's accurate, then they may have trouble running on the ncch-dl, as my ncch-dl undervolts the vdimm some, 2.73v, when set to 2.8v

but, i do believe i have read of users at 2cpu.com having success with that memory on the ncch-dl...i'll check into it

I have the Ncch-dl and It works fine with my Crucial Ballistix PC3200 memory. I have dual 3.06ghz and I have not had much overclocking them perhaps they do like a wee more juice :)

Back