• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7D Master-L & Dual Athlon-M 2600+ Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quantax

I recently bought new processors for my MSI K7D Master-L, two new Athlon XP Mobile 2600+ 266MHz 512Kb cache. I have tested each one individually and both works on their own, though the BIOS sees them as "unknown processor". I additionally flashed my BIOS to the latest 1.91v on MSI's site but this did not fix that problem. I then did the standard L5 mod to both processors, tested them individually, and confirming they each worked individually (still unknown processors however), I placed both in and booted up. Again, still unknown cpu types, but it saw both of them, and went on to boot up windows however windows would not recognize the second proc and sees the proc as an unknown processor. WCPUID sees only 1 processor as well, though correctly identifies it. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to get the BIOS & Windows to properly recognize the processors?

2. More importantly, how do I get the processors to run in dual configuration?

My previous experience with unlocking processors goes back to my old Athlon XP 2100's which unlocked and worked without issue for the 2 years I've had them, so I figure that I must be doing something wrong or are not aware of some detail. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I read around more, and it seems that I need to blow the 3rd bridge on the L5. Is this the only way to get these procs working in dual configuration? I also saw some stuff about hacked BIOSes for the MSI K7D Master-L, do these help at all?

- Brandon

Last edited:
Wish I could be of more help, but I am sure someone will be around to confirm or trash what youve already said.
From what I recall, what youve said does sound correct. I cant say for sure, so dont take my word on it, but if I recall correctly your edited in statement is right on.

Oh yea, welcome to the forums! ;)

Yes, you HAVE to blow the L5 to get them to run in a dually system, that will essentally turn them into MPs, without it, they are still XPs and useless for dually processors. So go read some more to find out exactly how to do so, and start steadying your hands...

the third L5 (mobile identifier bridge) can also be cut in these mobiles to run in dual mode...

or, you could use the asus a7m266-d without modding the chips, as they work native in SMP on this board

Thanks my good sirs for replying; my only remaining question is whether Athlon XP Mobiles are actually stable in a dual configuration on a MSI K7D Master-L. Ive read on a bunch of forums that people had major stability issues with their chips. I do not want to blow a bridge on the L5 and then find out that the system is unstable thus be unable to return the chips to buy new ones. Unfortunately, I foolishly did not read enough in-depth on the differences between mobiles & the old XP chips, so was unaware of the extra stuff nessessary to get them working.

The original reason I went through all this replacement of hardware was cause a heatsink fan failed on one of my CPUs (XP 2100s) and then as a result caused rather bad heat damage to the mobo. I replaced the mobo and also bought new chips since XP 2100s were difficult to find from a reputable reseller. I just want the system to work at this point in its full capacity, so I might just order a new XP 2100 and be done with it.

I am running a set of 2400+ stable also i would cut the bridge not blow them read a few places where people kill the cpu when they went to blow the bridge

The patched BIOS should enable you to run both CPUs without further modification. 0.09b is the same as 0.09, except that 0.09b modifies the startup screen so you can see if it is patched or not.

http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/

The 0.09b _MF BIOS is IMO quite safe for both mobile and non-mobile chips. I've been running it for many months with both desktop bartons and mobilised Durons without any issues.

You'll also need to either use a BOOTFID floppy disk or set the multiplier through pin painting if you want to run at more than 6.0x (or whatever the normal startup multiplier is).

PS to all interested: Yes, I'm back :) I've moved from NZ to Australia which got in the way a little, but now I'm settled in so there should be a 0.10 BIOS sometime in the near future!

Hi Emboss,
I didn't realize I could use your BIOS if I didn't mobilize my chips. Woot! Will this still work with your boot disks method for setting the multiplier then?

Perhaps my post was a bit unclear ... what I meant is that the BIOS can be used with non-mobilised chips in the sense that it will run like a stock 1.91 BIOS (ie: no stability problems). It won't get around the multiplier lock, enable PowerNow or anything like that.

I should also add that it's far from certain that the two genuine mobile chips will function in SMP mode correctly. If they won't work with the 3rd L5 cut, then they probably won't work with my BIOS either. Conversely, if they have stability problems with my BIOS (excluding the issues with one CPU hanging in BOOTFID) then there's a reasonable chance that they won't work with the L5 modified either.

I've not had much luck trying to find out why this is the case, but I'm guessing the chips have been tweaked (either in hardware or through internal settings) to operate differently. Presumably to lower power usage or similar, but in doing so it botches up the SMP capability on the K7D.

Back