• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repair Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atigamerguy

If I were to choose this option instead of doing a clean install of windows will it be the same thing. Ive been wanting to do a fresh install for a while since I got my new video card. Only that last time I did a clean install I got a message saying that I exceeded the limit that I could clean install, so I had to call a microsoft representative to get a activation key. Is there any way to do a clean install without having to call microsoft again and possible having them tell me that they cant activate my product anymore?? Any help appreciated.

I know that I have came across this similar situation in regarding XP's repair option. It was just discussed in this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=366564. I personally never have been able to get repair to work for me. Zip22 has had pretty good luck from what I have seen in his posts. Weather or not it will do what you require, well I can't say.

As far as Microsoft allowing you to reinstall XP. I would think that they cannot refuse you access to your software. I have had the similar thing happen to me. They end up asking alot of questions and then give you a new key. It's a pain. But you get the key.

So the chance of them not letting me get a new key are slim right? Last time I had to tell them that I had motherboard problems.

atigamerguy said:
So the chance of them not letting me get a new key are slim right? Last time I had to tell them that I had motherboard problems.
They get a little grumpy when your doing a fresh install every month or so. How long since you last installed?

I just upgraded my kids system about a month ago. The XP OS that was on thier computer was on there for 1 1/2 years and I still had to call in. They asked me why the change I told them is was an upgrade and that is all it took.

Remember it is Microsoft A.k.a no promises. But I'd think you'd be ok.

Well I just said F*** it and I just finished my clean install and what do ya know I didnt have to call Microsoft. I guess I get a certain amount of chances again before I have to call em up. Thaks for your help. Oh almost forgot do you all think I should install Service Pack 2 or just install all the updates for sp1?

good question i got sp2 with sp1 updates but am scared to use it, last time i installed it my rig went all slow and i rolled back and it was fine!?

Well I just ordered the SP2 cd from microsoft i thought they were gonna charge shipping but thet didnt. Ill just keep it and install it when I absolutely have to.

Back