• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD not found on bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bterry13

With about the last 5 bootups, my computer couldn't find my HDD drive. Then, I go to the bios screen. It too does not show the HDD drive, so I have to hit f3, which is refresh all the drives. It takes about 30s-1m, but it finally finds the HDD drive and then I can boot up. What's the problem?

no power in the drive, maybe the drive is dying?? what kinda drive is it??

if its a deathstar (IBM)... i WILL be forced to take that and dispose of it in a proper way =P

have you checked the connections on the drive? (turn off computer first if you try this)
do you have any fans/lights etc plugged in immediately before the hard drive?
what power supply are you using, what does your system consist of?

btw it's a good idea to put your system specs in your sig so we can diagnose future problems more easily

I've got a WD 7200RPM hard drive. The power supply came with some generic case I have. Also, it's all running through an ECS K7AMA motherboard.

Did you jumper it correctly? How many HDDs do you have in that system? If you only have one HDD, remove the jumper and try again.

I have one hard drive, and it should be jumpered correctly for a couple of reasons. First, I have been running this system for at least a year, more like two. Also, when I go to the bios and tell it to search for the drives, it eventually finds it as the master.

The weird thing is it takes about 20 seconds for the computer to find the hard drive, when I'm in the bios. Then, when I save the settings and the bios and go back to the computer bootup proccess, it does boot. However, the boot is still lagged by about as long as it took the bios to find the hard drive. Keep in mind, without going to the bios, it doesn't boot at all.

Due to the spin up error, it sounds like the drive is dying. Did you get the WD lifegaurd diagnostics disk when you bought the hard drive. If not, you can download them from their site. Might try that to see if the drive is ok. Or you might try to p[ug it into another machine as a slave drive to see if you have the same problems.

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ yeah drive is dieing or PSU not providing enough power.

Also try to replace the IDE cable.

I agree disconnect all non critcal devices. to lessen load on HDDs. See if it boots ok then. IF so your PSU is on the way out. and replace it.

If no difference. Replace your HDD immediately then try and mount your current HDD as a slave and try and save any files you can while you can.

I'm having the same problem with the same model; probably MY fault but I'm gonna take my computer apart to check connections.

I did a test from the western digital website, and it said my hard drive passed. I have also been having problems with my mouse going out, although less lately. So now I'm wondering if it is my power supply.

Back