• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AntiVirus and Firewall Combination?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Went over to these two websties http://www.anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ and http://www.personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ . This brought up questions on what firewall and antivirus are better. I am using Nod32 and Sygate Pro, but if you check them out, they are not in the top places. I mean, Nod32 is good I think, but buggy and Sygate Pro could be better. With that in mind, what suggestions would you say would be better for antivirus and firewall. It doesn't matter if it is free or I have to pay for it. I have heard of the free Avast and AVG, but are they good enough or even up there with the high class antivirus. I am more into low resource antivirus and firewall. Automatic updates is a must for me. So what suggestions do you have.

dja2k

How about Avast Antivirus Pro with Outpost Firewall Pro?

OR

Bitdefender Pro with Outpost Firewall Pro?

OR

Avast or Bitdefender with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro?

The combinations are endless, but which ones are more effective.....

dja2k

I use avast (free version) and Sygate (personal free version) and have never had an infection though I wander through some very dubious sites :p

It also helps that I don't use IE but rather Firefox.

DWolf:cool:

i use avast with kerio, firefox is meh browser of choice, ad-aware pro with ad-watch also. my ship is clean.

Avast is nice and runs on XP64 as well.

I've had good results with Kapersky's firewall and AV as well.

Found out that Outpost in combination with Kaspersky Personal Pro do a great job. Outpost is real flexible in ruleseting. According to the online results on http://www.av-comparatives.org/ , Kaspersky was rated really good compared to the competition. Go visit that site and watch for yourself. Also I have been hearing that lots of people have been using this program called ewido in conjuntion with all kinds of antivirus software and supposetly would improve detection rates on trojans, spyware, malware etc.

dja2k

those big asses like Norton/symatec/McAfee ..ect. right now are junks .. use large space, slow start up, suck too much memory, poor update.

Zonealarm + AVG (both free)
Also check out Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, and AdAware SE Personal (all free)

AdSubtract is also useful (not free)

Best combo that I have seen is the following...

Kaspersky + Zonealarm (free or pro)

OR

Kaspersky + Outpost (advance rule setting)

For all the rest, best setup would be to use the free antivirus and firewalls available.

Last edited:
I use Symantec corporate version 8 (home computer) and the free version of ZoneAlarm, occasionaly I get adware/spyware when I watch purn, never once a virus though, but I use tds-3 adware/spyware/trojans www.tds.diamondcs.com.au

i have Norton AV in disabled mode... with zonealarm taking care of anything... from time to time i scan it...

but the best combination would be... unplug the network cable..
damn its a jungle out there :rolleyes:

SybrCLocK said:
i have Norton AV in disabled mode... with zonealarm taking care of anything... from time to time i scan it...

but the best combination would be... unplug the network cable..
damn its a jungle out there :rolleyes:

You should consider having an active antivirus on all the time. Zonealarm is not an antivirus and will only prevent hackers not viruses from destroying your valuable data. I know that some antiviruses take up a lot of resources, but some don't. Like I said before, Kaspersky (99% catch rate of all AV's) works well with Zonealarm Pro. Nothing big ever gets passed Kaspersky and it has been proven from different testers.

dja2k

Back