• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a significant between 256 & 512MB ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Lansing

ok my system see my sig
I just wannta ask if i add another piece of 256MB Tonicom ram to my system, then when i play games, load programs etc..
will there be a significant difference will at least can u feel the difference between 256MB and 512MB, if so in what ways can u feel that difference???

Opps!
the title should be

"Is there a significant difference between 256 & 512 MB ram"

pls excuse my spellin:D

If you use windows 98 or Me - no not rteally
if you use win2k - a bit
if you use linux - quitea lot

i am currently using win98se
so according to what u've sed
it doesn't make it difference yea??
well i know that most of it depends on what graphix card ur using but when ur playing games does it load faster???

Win98 only 'sees' about 256MB of RAM. I have 384 and I have a proggie to show me how much RAM is free. It never drops below 150. Youi can however, force it to use the memory. Make a 256MB RAMdrive and use it for your swapfile - viola!

Depends on what you do with your pc. If your into graphic design and print things out a lot then it can make print speed (well spool times) significantly faster. Like penguinfreak said win9X is not really suitable for that amount of ram, like I always say, if your doing things with your pc that need 512mb of ram then you need to use something other than win9x. Grab win2k or XP (if your a bit mad like) instead.
At the moment though in games 256mb is about all you need for games, I have 256mb of ram and rarely see my swap file being used.

My main purpose is GAMING, use graphix programs like Adobe Photoshop, Xara etc, Internet
if i'm using photoshop, and lots of otha programs does it make a difference if i'm using 512MB ram??
cause i feel that my whole pc is slowed down when loading several Graphix programs

In a lot of graphics packages, you can choose to store the whole image in RAM, and tha'll speed things up.

k thx for all the advice!!

-------------------------------
YaY 4 stars!!!!

Well, I think it's probably worth it for what, $35? :p

I would get myself another stick but I just spent $200+ on my water cooling rig, so maybe later...

Back