• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I charge for website maintenance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

About 6 months ago, I developed a website for my aunt and uncle-in-law's hardwood flooring business.

Since then, I've been doing about 10-15 hours of maintenance per month with the site, at their request. This covers things such as:
-Editing images for their online photo gallery (they take pics from almost every install they do)
-Updating/adding customer testimonials
-Maintaining their e-mail settings
-Reviewing website stats
-Optimizing pages for search engines
-General website updates (adding logos, etc.)

If it were less than 5 hours, I probably wouldn't charge anything. But, since I'm committed to them, and may have other customers in the future (less time), I'm having trouble justifying doing it absolutely free.

They recently sent me an e-mail asking me how much they owe me (for the past ~3 months' work), and no, I never tell them whether I'm expecting money or not. What should I do? Set up a monthly plan, etc? How much should I charge (if any) for this type of maintenance?

Definatly not much. I work on a website for my G/F's family (basically family to me) and I get about 100 for every 30ish hours i put in

Cool. That's pretty much on target with what I was figuring. I'll estimate $50 based on 10-15 hours per month.

I have trouble taking money from family so I usually barter. When ever I go over to my uncles to fix his computer I usually get a couple of drinks out of the deal. If its a big thing they have a place for me at their dinner table. Now they do pay the cost of the parts though.

seadave77 said:
I have trouble taking money from family so I usually barter. When ever I go over to my uncles to fix his computer I usually get a couple of drinks out of the deal. If its a big thing they have a place for me at their dinner table. Now they do pay the cost of the parts though.
Well, hardware and software fixing/installing is a little different in most cases. Like you, I never charge for stuff like that, but do sometimes get a meal or something out of the deal.

I've never spent 10-15 hours a month fixing or installing hardware on any 1 person's PC, so maintaining a website is a little more time consuming.

Don't charge family IMO, unless it's your full-time job.

Take it out in trade - tell them to buy you dinner once in a while and be done with it. Chinese food usually works for me :)

I NEVER charge them, but they insist on paying me, so I dont usually accept more than about 100 no matter how big the job. I just finished a major overhaul, so 100 was a real good price for them.

I never charge family. If it's one of my brother's or one of my sort of adopted brothers (guys I've known long enough they're pretty much family), I'll just tell them. "you owe me..." and leave it at that.

It is family and not charging is a good thing but over time are you basically going to be an employee that works for nothing? And what about reference and future jobs? You are going to be expected to work for $5 hourly? I would say in the range of $30 hourly would be conservative for what you are doing. If it were me I would get some estimates and show them what it would cost if it were outsourced, charge them $15 per hour(let them know what a good deal they are getting-they may already) for future work, write off what has already been done and come to an agreement on what is to be done. And leave a standing offer to teach THEM or one of their employees how to do these things. They run a business, they will understand. It doesn't seem like a winning situation if you are being asked to put in 10-15 hours monthly without being an employee, and believe me at one point you will be tired of it. I mean is this going to go on forever? I am sure that they are generating business and profit through your effort.

AND
Since they are asking how much they owe you, they as business owners may also be uncomfortable with the arrangement, value what you do and may actually need a record of services and payment for taxes. I would again say that you should look up what others are charging in the area, show them what it would cost give them a greatly reduced price ($15) and offer to teach them how to do it. Also ask them to keep the price to themselves if referring you to anyone else and quote others at $30 hourly. Just my HO

Last edited:
I work under a contract with a local business researching and building new computers as well as maintaining their current systems... meaning I clean off a great deal of spyware. They pay me $15 an hour for whenever I work... which isn't that often anymore because I have cleaned up a great deal of crap on their machines :cry:

Anyways, I would charge them on a per-hour basis.

Around where I live, web-design companies normally charge $25-$75 an hour to design and maintain websites. Given what you do, I would charge around $10-$15 an hour; that being said, make sure those are hours you WORK... not just random hours you goof off and then put in 5-10 minutes of work...

Even though they are family, they also act like your employer. Just keep doing what you do best and they'll be more than willing to pay you for such a low fee.

And ask for benefits ;) (j/k)

I don't charge family or close friends either. They will pay you back in other ways, or likely get you some other business from their friends or co-workers. It all works itself out. :)

I'm currently working on a project that I quoted out at $35 hour for a guy I work with, not a friend, and definatly not family. I do alot of work and consulting for family though. Typically I'll write it off, or at least get a meal out of it though. As for friends... sorry mates I charge. It's usually a reduced rate for close friends, but it's full charge for anyone that's a friend of a friend. After a couple of bills from me they start cleaning up thier act and getting a clue about how to keep thier system clean. If I was doing work for a family member's business I'd charge a reduced rate, but to me it's business... thier business needs my business. It's foolish to assume that they will get it for free. Also I'm very honest about the work I do, and how much it costs. I'm not just talking about supplies, and R&D. I'm talking about reallocating time from something else to work on the project. I also have access to people who can do things I cant, and that helps drive thier business. Also it's a good idea to have them shop around, if they can find a better price, just charge them $5 less ;). I have yet to find someone who can find someplace else beating my rates. Also the training thing is very important. Take for instance the project I'm working on now. I already told the guy that he can sign a service contract with me, or I can show him how to do it himself. I learned a long time ago, always have a contract. I'm still holding someone's website that never finished paying. Thats reality folks, this is business... no free rides.

Back