• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excel problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dougan

Hello,
I am having a problem with excel, whenever I try to open and excel file it pops up a windows installer. When I open excel normal then import the files it works fine. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Thanks a ton!

Try re-registering Excel...close XL first, then Start | Run | Type:

excel.exe /unregserver ...and click OK
excel.exe /regserver ...and click OK

You might have to designate a full path to Excel.exe. In that case...Start | Run | Type:

C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver ...i.e. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

You'll get the "Preparing to install" message and the "Please wait while configuring etc." Also with XL open go into Tools | Options | General...and uncheck "Ignore other applications".

tried that and it says cant find program files or one of its components. It also cant find unregserver or regserver.

I apologize for that...the commands should be:

regsvr32 /u Excel.exe
regsvr32 Excel.exe

or...

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe"
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe"

Sorry for the confusion.

When you get Excel open try...Help--> Detect and Repair. There's the possibility that something is defective...and this will check out the vital files for Excel and (hopefully) replace them. You'll need the installation CDs handy, and I'd recommend that you do it from a clean boot with no other programs running. I'd also suggest running a virus scan, if you haven't already.

Back