• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really REALLY weird windows 2k problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jotolicious

I am not JoT
so it started like this. when playing KOTOR, sometimes it would freeze up the computer, so i'd hit reset, and the pc would just go blank. fans are running, but nobody's home. turn off computer, power back up and everything is aok.

today, i tried turning on my computer, and it booted up and stuff, but it got stuck at the W2k splash screen, with the little progress bar at the bottom. it just FROZE. i turned off the computer, and turned it back on again, but this time it FROZE at a different part, and THIS time only HALF of the W2k splash screen is up :confused: like the top half was CUT OFF!

anyways, i figured the only thing that could be causing this really odd problem was dust accumulation :beer: so i just went outside and blew out a lot of dust (first time in 2 yrs i think )

so here i am, typing away. but the weird thing is, when i try to connect to the internet (dial up), ZoneAlarm has :

Svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe
services.exe

all trying to ask for permission to access the internet. this has never happened before with ZoneAlarm. services.exe would ask for permission once connected, but the other two are anomalys.

i'm confused here... and services.exe asked permission to access IP 64.136.28.120 ... which for some reason strikes me as the same address that ZoneAlarm kept catching a "dangerous threat" to invade my computer.

i don't know if i'm just being paranoid, cuz i'm not sure that's the same address... anyways.

that was long. :-/

anybody got any ideas? :confused:

Back