• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supermicro P4DMS building questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snoopdog26

got a few questions i just got this motherboard

my new motherboard

this motherboard says PCI-X what exactly does this mean can i get a PCI-express video card? whats the best card for around 300 i definatly want nvidia series.

this comp is goign to have 4 gigs of 2700 mhz mem, and duel xeon 2.4 ghz.

im also going completely liquid cooled. should i use 2 rads for the 2 proc/gpu? and should i use t-line or res with 2 procs? (will i notice a temp difference?)
(ordering off danger den) also do you think it is necessisary to go liquid with duel? is this motherboard very overclockable?

any help is greatly appriciated i havnt seen any topics about this mobo so hopefully someone has some info for me.

im also buying a sound card. cant decide between the audigy and the revolution any imput?

will a fortron blue storm 500 watt be efficient enough for all this?

-Andy

PCI-X is like... Not very fun :p. It is NOT PCI-E, so don't even bother trying to buy a PCI-E Card.

PCI-X is faster for HDD Controller cards, but thats about the only benefit for it.

You won't find any PCI-X video cards. They do have PCI-X hard drive controllers, though, as Elif Tymes mentioned.

In answer to some of your questions:

That is a server MB and is intended for high levels of IO. It makes no attempt to incorporate desktop of workstation amenities.

Overclocking will not be an option on these boards. They are designed for stability only. Liquid cooling is an option for noise control, but adds very little else.

The PS needs to be an EPS12V power supply. This uses a 24 pin main connector and 8 pin aux connector. This differs from a regular ATX PS.

For a normal use system, I'd strongly recommend against this board. The PC-DL or NCCH-DL are much more suited to use.

I wouldn't call PCI-X old technology, but it is rather specialized and very fast for IO.

hm

well i got this mobo with 4 gigs of 2700 mhz memory 2 xeon 2.4 ghz 64 bit processors...

anyone wannna trade or something for a gaming system?

try and return the mobo and get a ncch-dl cause it is ready for 64bit cpu's

also what kind of mem do you have and can you return it for some faster stuff

its non refundable. i bieleve its ECC memory 4 gigs. 4x1 gig 2700 mhz registered ECC

im looking for anyonw who wants to buy or trade any of these parts im looking for liquid cooling parts!
-Andy

Back