• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp crashing issues (page fault in nonpaged area?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xieflokes

Registered
Problem solved, lock please!

ok. I tried to do some searching, but because this computer crashes so frequently, I couldn't find anything.

I was recommended this site as I hear you guys are like the masters at hardware, so... here goes.

Just bought and built a new PC this weekend (all new components : DFI nF4 Ultra-D motherboard, X700 Pro, Athlon 3000+ 64 bit processor, western digital hard drive, toshiba DVD dual layer writer drive thing, Antec's Sonata case)

Put it all together... and it runs, kinda. I slapped XP on it, and got some games installed, but...

It likes to crash. A lot.

I get a Windows XP blue screen that stays up so short I can't catch what it says. One time it actually let me wait, so I wrote down part of what it said.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Did some googling, and found a few sites like this : http://www.sanx.org/stopCode.asp?stopCodeRef=43

I've tried a bunch of fixes, too. Formatted and reinstalled Windows, downloaded the newest ATI drivers, downloaded the Omega drivers, put the card into the other PCIEx slot, tried reseating all the components.

No change. It still blows up a lot. When I play a 3D game (Doom 3, Dawn of War, City of Heroes), it'll blow up after about 5 - 15 minutes of gameplay. Sometimes it'll just crash the game and exit out, one time I got something about the VPU shutting off the graphics card, and most of the time it'll just crash and reboot the computer entirely.

I'll post more in a sec, but I want to get this posted before it crashes again.

edit:

ok. I've also tried reinstalling the software, drivers, et cetera. I've tried asking people all over. Finally someone recommended these forums.

I am not a hardware guy, unfortunately. I would have bought a Dell, and should have bought a Dell, but I thought I could get a more powerful machine set up cheaper on my own... but I couldn't, it seems like.

I can't think of anything else, and any help will be appreciated. Again, I am sorry for not searching the forums for a similar issue, but like I said, it is tough to do because this computer likes to crash a lot.

Last edited:
I can't really swap the memory because I only have two sticks of ram, and it's a dual channel motherboard, and I don't think it will boot if I don't have it in dualchannel mode.

it should boot with one stick it should automatically switch to single or virtual channel memory mode, try only having one stick of ram in and if it still crashes try the other stick if both make ur computer crash you can most likely rule out a memory problem.

OK, I'll try that. I'm also going to try some of the tools from the system stability thing.

Also... I left this comp up and running, and it ran fine for the past two hours. However, I was playing Shattered Galaxy on my laptop and all I had running on this comp was this window in Firefox.

So I am pretty sure something is wrong with the video card now... as it really likes to crash when I do 3D.

ok, ran Memtest 86+ overnight, no fails and all passes.

I'm using the 380 watt PSU that came with the Sonata case.

After work today I plan on returning the X700 to Fry's for another X700...

A 380 watt generic PSu may not be enough, I bet your graphic card eats a lot of power during 3d intensive things. If the new video card doesn't fix it, take a look at your PSU.

Is there any way I can check the power use by my video card?

I went with the Sonata case because I only heard good things about the case and PSU it came with, and a new PSU will be a bit expensive.

Xieflokes said:
Is there any way I can check the power use by my video card?

I went with the Sonata case because I only heard good things about the case and PSU it came with, and a new PSU will be a bit expensive.

Its pretty hard to check your power usage on your videocard without a multimeter but I would say get a new non generic power supply around 400-450 watts and would recommend the Antec True430 ~ 80 bucks @ newegg Link
It may seem like alot but the power supply is probably the most overlooked parts of the pc an would recommend getting a good one.

ok. Just tried with just one stick of ram in. Worked fine. With both sticks individually.

Sound like a bad mobo, then?

Eh, that's not a generic PSU you're using... it's an Antec TruePower 380W. If you're not OCed, you shouldn't be having that much difficulty with that PSU at this stage of the game, though it I'd highly recommend a more powerful PSU (like a Fortron 530W.)

You memtested with each stick individually, and it passed? You said earlier that youu memtested and it passed... then it failed... then it passed... which one is it? =)

When you have the time, head over to the actual DFI support forums, I'm sure they'll have more answers for you regarding your board.

OK.

The problem was, my memory slot on the board was broken or something.

Went back to Fry's, exchanged the board, and now everything works fine now!

Thanks for your help, guys.

crap crap crap. Problem NOT solved.

However, with the exchanged motherboard, it does last a lot longer before crashing.

JerMe said:
Eh, that's not a generic PSU you're using... it's an Antec TruePower 380W. If you're not OCed, you shouldn't be having that much difficulty with that PSU at this stage of the game, though it I'd highly recommend a more powerful PSU (like a Fortron 530W.)
Oh. I just assumed it was generic...

It sounds like a memory problem. Nothing like a bad stick of RAM to give you a nice wide variety of errors to have you chasing your tail for days and changing parts out faster then a NASCAR pit crew.

Back