• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering building an Athlon 64 Sysytem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

Originaly my plan was to wait for the dual cores, but someone offered me a pretty fair price for my current system and I think I should sell it while I can get money for it. So, I'm considering building up an Athlon 64 System. I need to keep it under 1000.00. Overclocking is not of great importance, but having the ability to do so would be nice.

What should I be looking at? I spent a few minutes looking around and I think the basics will be:

Nforce4 Mobo (maybe SLI, though I doubt I would use it.)
939 A64 3000/3200 (not sure, depends on cost of other components)
1 Gig PC3200 (2x 512)
Hard Drives... No idea. Either the WD3200 or 2x 200GB drives (Whats Faster and Should I go for SATA or stick with IDE?)
Video 6600GT (I like ATI, but this is the best bang for the buck I think)

Oh, and cases... I saw one Silverstone case which really caught my eye.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj06.htm
I like the layout, but its pricey. Has anyone used one? The only potential problem I see is the lack of cooling i nthe hard drive bay. I guess a PSU with a 120mm fan would help.

So, can you guys help me out?

Thanks,
Matt

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
that sounds like a pretty solid lineup...maybe some better/faster ram might work better

Yeah but the prices really start to jump after PC3200. And if I'm not going to be overclocking... I really don't see any reason for me to spend more. I made that mistake with my current system.

oh, no ocing? :(
well, in that case, yeah pc3200 would do it. but i'd still look for some with, say, CAS 2. that's more performance without ocing there.

Wouldnt 2x5750 PCI-E 16x GPU's running in SLI mode be better then a single 6600GT?

you can get 2 5750's for around 225.00 or so...

(I know you said you wouldnt probably use it...but still something worth thinking about, especially if you are a gamer)

As for memory...if you dont want to OC...then some good cheap 150.00 winbond UTT's (1G kit) will work great...and still give you some leadway if you do OC...

PSU...look at the OCZ 420...these are around 100.00 and are also SLI/SATA ready...with adjustable rails and with LED's to show if any of your rails are running too low...

And right now if you check in cyber deals there was a thread with the 200's on sale for around 100.00 also...

Back