• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Cables...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning[983]

Hey,

I'm planing on modding the comp a little bit, and i'm not sure what's the general point of view on rounded IDE cables...

I'm generally concerned about stability issues... are they worse than standard cables??

They can't be better so :)

Bye,

Some actually are better...especially for sheilding EMI (Electromagnetic interference) but the key thing is...it lets more airflow through the system which in turn can cool the system and possbile the CPU which in turn can lead to a more stable or higher OC...This is in theory...but doesnt mean it will actually increase the OC or stability of the system...but it will help with better air flow...especially around the HDD's if you have the older ribbon type folded/smashed around/against your HDD(s)...

Also...welcome since I have not dont that as of yet :)...

Thanx for the reply,

But i was wondering more about, those normal, by that i mean the cheapest rounded cables, do i lose any signal quality to my devices when comparing to the standard IDE cables...

ok...I understand now...and no..do not get cheap rounded cables...talking the .99 special cables and like...very bad most of the times...

If going with rounded cables later on or such...make sure they are EMI sheilded...thats one thing the cheap cables usally do not have...and if you have a few of the cables...they will lead to EMI interference and will lead to data corruption...possible...and from personal experince...

Which is why I use grounded rounded cables now...one for both IDE controllers and a floppy...

Back