• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea's for new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Well I've really been considering a new rig. Mainly been looking at Dual CPU for the system with a good chance if these come out is having 2 Dual Core CPU's. With that being said I've been trying to figure out who will have the Dual Core chips coming out for SMP.

But with that being said for the system itself I'm looking at having probley 2 gigs of ram, a main RAID 0 drive and 1 other drive for storage and another for backups (on that is just used for backups and is disconnected during normal operations unsure if SATA would work for this option or go to a USB type drive for that).

The system would be in a bigger box hopfully, with another system that I have (an AMD 2600+ rig that I run as a 24/7 server currently). I know the box would be bigger then a standard one but was curious what type of Cases supported 2 motherboards?? I know there was a cube one I saw a while ago and wasn't sure if that supported it.

The idea for this came to me that the rig in my sig (my primary one) I use for dragging around to friends places all the time and such. I use it alot at home but I'd like a good system left at my place also. One that I don't move and make sure I can't take it with me.

Some of the requirements of the system Dual CPU's
- Either 2x CPU's or 2xDual Core CPU's) with 64-Bit compatability
- Motherboard that can OC the CPU's
- Decent heatsinks for the CPU's that will withstand some OC, but also making sure that it can run with quiet fans
- PSU to meat the power requirements of the system
- 2x 1gig sticks or 4x 512Mb sticks of ram (Might just go 1gig to start with) but mobo must support 4 ram slots
- SATA connections, at least 4 of them minimum 6 would be nice (2 for raid at least) can be SATAII but not required.

Was hoping to aim for sometime early summer (maybe slightly later summer) with the system. Don't worry about the money option currently, but I don't want the "top of the line" cpus though.

Suggestions, commits, questions, fire away.

If you stick to a regular CPU, you may want to go w/ the mobo that I am using. Abit IC7-MAX3. It's great for overclocking. Plus it has 6 SATA connectors, and two IDE so you can hook up your optical drives or IDE hard disk. I love SATA because the cables are smaller (I am a neat freak), and each has a dedicated channel.

I've got two Raptors in RAID0 and it is very impressive. However, I use that volume for video capture and editing. If you're not into that stuff, you'll probably be better off w/out a RAID0 array if you're using modern drives.

But I don't think you stated the primary purpose(s) of your machine.

Whoops I think I deleted it hehe :) I edited so many times because I was rambling on...

Primary purpose of the machine would be..
Primary @ Home System capibile of but not limited too..
3D-Animation
Gaming
Minor Video Editing

But as said I want it to have 64Bit capibility, so I can at least a decent system for a few years here without the need to upgrade yearly (except minor things).

RAID 0 was just an option that I was choosing but I still might not do that also. But always like having the option for it though.

Edit: Would love to have 2 CPU's using Dual Cores though if it is possible.

deathman20 said:
Edit: Would love to have 2 CPU's using Dual Cores though if it is possible.
Closest thing you will find to that would be Intel's EE dual cores which will support both HT and duallies

Ya but I know they are coming out with Dual Core SMP thats why I was wondering. And since I'm not in a total rush to get the system currently, I can wait for the new ones to come out.

Edit:
Sentential: I heard that they where capibible of that but, personally EE's are a rip of money wise. But its good to see options at least.

Last edited:
Back