• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxadam

how can i restart windows xp in command promt so i can format my whole hardrive , i used to be able to do this through windows 98 disc on bootup but cant now as it wont work (scratched bad)

Anyone know ?

just put your xp cd in the drive and boot for it. you have to make sure that your cd drive is set to the first boot device in the BIOS. just folow the prompts and you will be able to format and create partitions.

It deosn't get you a command prompt, but it should get you to a place where you can create and delete partitions and such. If not, try this linux-based cd:
http://www.sysresccd.org/
Boot from it and try out using gparted or qtparted (I don't remember which it has) to delete your partitions.

If that's not your thing, try the Ultimate Boot CD:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

edit: linuxed=linux, what the heck was I thinking?

As suggested, you could use a linux live CD. I would recommend the latest version of Knoppix. It has good hardware detection and comes with decent partitioning utilities.

Yeah, not to sure what you are asking. I think though form what it sounds like I would DL eraser and run boot and nuke. To wipe out your drive. Then run fdisk in the boot floppy to repartition it.

what mother board are you using? and are you connected to the a regular IDE port or a raid, SATA port?

mxadam said:
doesnt work , ive tried that

Then you did something wrong, the XP cd is bootable. If you have the boot order set to try the optical drive before the hard drive and you have the CD in the drive it will work.

Try again with the correct setup.

I think some bios try and stop you from installing windows. I know this sounds wierd and I have never seen it but my friend who I gave perfect instructions had this problam with like a hp or dell or one of thoughs types of systems. Said it just wouldnt boot. This system though did have like a F11 key to reinstall the os. (had a install os partition)

Thanks guys , i managed in the end with XP disc , i have a HP computer . Thanks

Back