• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just made a new system, an odd problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

Hi, just built my friend a new system, with MSI neo2 plat s939, a 3000+ winchester, and ocz pc4000 ram, plus a ozc 520w power supply.

the problem is when i turn on the PSU at the back it boots up the whole system automatically!! without me pressing the power button at the front.

whats even worse is that the monitor doesn't seem to come on when i turn on power at back.

once it is turned on at the back i can switch the computer off at the front power button by holding it down though.

any1 ever had this problem before? the gfx card works for sure because we've tried 2 and it does the same thing, whole system powers up (cpu fan etc...) as soon as i turn power on at back of PSU. but the monitor stays off.

thanks in advanced, bye.

There's an option in the BIOS of most newer PCs that tells the computer what to do in case of a power failure. The options are either stay off or turn on automatically. I believe it's in the power section of the BIOS - go check that.

Slackfumasta said:
There's an option in the BIOS of most newer PCs that tells the computer what to do in case of a power failure. The options are either stay off or turn on automatically. I believe it's in the power section of the BIOS - go check that.

Yes, that, or your reset button could be f'd up and on the wrong jumper. I've had this happen to me (not ont he wrong jumper, but f'd up and comp wouldn't boot).

-Sam

Guys, it sounds like his monitor has never turned on, so Windows has not been loaded yet and the BIOS has not been accessed. Samurai is on the right track. The front panel connectors (pwr, reset, hdd) are easily attached with opposite polarity by mistake, and you have a 50-50 chance with each one. It sounds like the reset and power-on buttons my be on the wrong pins or connected backwards.

Slackfumasta said:
This is a likely possibility. Also, power on and reset button cables on the wrong pins are possiblities.

If these don't do it, you could have a bad PSU.

i don't think that the orientation of power and reset matter, however i have had systems that woldn't boot because the LEDs were plugged in backwards

Back