• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC still won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myles

Registered
I already read the sticky just to make sure. My pc was working fine, until all of a sudden the screen and sound came to a screeching halt, it all froze. So, I punched the reset button, now nothing comes up on screen. Usually, you would see the keyboard light up too, but that dosen't happen either. The BIOS does not show up on screen at all. I swapped hard drives, reset the CMOS, and what not, I get nothing. Everything else seems to work fine, and I don't think this is related to any of my peripherals because they were all working perfectly up until now. Can anyone help me brainstorm a bit here?

It's not the PSU. Everything is powered and the PSU runs great(PSU's new anyway), the only thing is that I don't see the BIOS boot up or anything.

Yes all fans including CPU and northbridge working A-OK. Usually when the CPU isn't working, whether fried or not, it reports it while it's booting up the bios onward, in this case, the screens just blank.

What motherboard do you have? Can you hear any beep codes to let you know what's going on?

If you have a spare rig around, start swapping parts to see what works and what doesn't.

My mobo's a abit ic7g, when the agp card isn't working, it usually posts a message while booting up. I run dual monitors with two seperate cards: one agp(aiw9700) and one pci (voodoo3). If the AGP is dead, it should've booted up the voodoo3 as the primary instead, and vice versa since that's how I've configured it in the BIOS. I'm gonna try removing PCI cards to see if it dosen't do anything until I reach the bare minimum to run. I know my RAM, cdroms, and HDs are a-ok, though. I don't have any spare parts, my only spare rig's an old legendary compaq from '97.

EDIT: Removing the pci cards didn't help. I would think bad cmos battery, but even a message should've been posted. Now I'm thinking either the mobo failed...

Last edited:
how would I be able to tell which one is fried? I dont have spare parts to test.

do you have onboard video?? and does ur mobo beep at all?? what are the beeping patterns, and what bios you have?? (like AMI, Phoenix)

try switching a videocard from the compaq... unless its got onboard =P

yeah compaq's an onboard. my mobo dosen't beep even when it works. Mine's a Phoenix BIOS. I run dual monitors on two different cards, if one dosen't work, then it usually boots to the other card, but in this case the BIOS dosen't post on the screen. If the CPU isn't working, a message usually posts saying it's "unworkable" or what not.

I think I'm just going to eRMA it directly to abit. I've read there have been a lot of IC7G boards just dying on users. So I probably won't bother troubleshooting this any longer. I think I've bent my back too many times on this board already.

If the CPU isn't working, a message usually posts saying it's "unworkable" or what not.

As I've said before, if you CPU is fried, you will get *nothing* at all, other than your fans and drives spinning.

But yes, if you don't have spare parts to test with, RMA the board, I would guess that before the CPU itself.

Back