• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft 'Forcing' SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is only if you use Automatic Updates - some companies have been using a tool from Microsoft that allows them to use Automatic Updates but not install SP2. That tool will no longer block SP2 after 4/12/05.

If you don't want SP2, don't use Automatic Updates. Then it won't be pushed to you. That's what I do at work, since SP2 breaks the VB6 debugging feature that we still use.

Slackfumasta said:
This is only if you use Automatic Updates - some companies have been using a tool from Microsoft that allows them to use Automatic Updates but not install SP2. That tool will no longer block SP2 after 4/12/05.

If you don't want SP2, don't use Automatic Updates. Then it won't be pushed to you. That's what I do at work, since SP2 breaks the VB6 debugging feature that we still use.

Will this also more or less make SP2 a critical update and not allow you to 'deselect' it during even any manual updates?? So won't you be more or less forced to accept SP2 anyway?? :bang head

Z

Man, I dont want SP2, Im still on SP1, I already tried it on my "testing" computer, the Automatic Firewall ****es me off, constantly reminding me to turn it on, when I have ZoneAlarm installed -_-. DOWN WITH SP2 *starts riot*

Zuzzz said:
Will this also more or less make SP2 a critical update and not allow you to 'deselect' it during even any manual updates?? So won't you be more or less forced to accept SP2 anyway?? :bang head

Z

I don't have an answer for you. However, you may have to download the network installs of the updates you need and install them that way.

Hopefully we'll just be able to ignore it on Windows Update and just install the other stuff.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Man, I dont want SP2, Im still on SP1, I already tried it on my "testing" computer, the Automatic Firewall ****es me off, constantly reminding me to turn it on, when I have ZoneAlarm installed -_-. DOWN WITH SP2 *starts riot*
I have a solution:
1. hold the windows key + r
2. type: "services.msc"
3.scroll to "Security Center" and double click on it
4.under "startup type" select disabled.
5.Click "stop" the service.
6.click "okay"

Or put these lines in a notepad, save it as a *.reg file... and double click it to merge it within your registry...

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Override Antivirus
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001

;Override Windows Firewall
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001

fldrice said:
I have a solution:
1. hold the windows key + r
2. type: "services.msc"
3.scroll to "Security Center" and double click on it
4.under "startup type" select disabled.
5.Click "stop" the service.
6.click "okay"

I have another (I think better) solution: use a better firewall, like Kerio personal firewall or Sygate personal firewall. Both are detected by sp2 and work great (better than ZA, imho).

aeiou said:
I have another (I think better) solution: use a better firewall, like Kerio personal firewall or Sygate personal firewall. Both are detected by sp2 and work great (better than ZA, imho).

I still would turn the Security Center off, even if you have a software firewall. If you can monitor the status of your AV and firewall via their icons in the system tray, there's really no need for the Security Center. If you're a noob, then the Security Center can stay until you figure out what's going on.

You can turn off Windows Firewall as well, once you get a better firewall. I'm not too keen on having two firewalls competing to stop a process (although Windows Firewall only works on inbound threats.)

Ahhh, linux is sounding sweater by the day. :) Can we get a little icon of the pinguen? huh? can we?

= Saruji =

This is only one of the reasons I switched. Not to down windows, it is still a great OS, but I don't like updates being forced upon me.

Plus, I don't like to pay to upgrade to the next version, for Anti-Virus, etc... That gets expensive.

Felt like a good time to learn Linux, and I am glad I did. Windows free here, and loving it.

Agreed with you gruven, unfotunatly this new decition of mine has made me want to sell off my A64 setup, because of lack of support from Linux, or is this true? Why not just use a 2500+ and save some money?

Back